Map Journal - image captions

03-17-2016 03:04 PM
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

Can anyone tell me what is going on with image captions in the Map Journal? I am using the ESRI hosted template.  I have several images in my side panel for a good number of sections in my map journal and it seems that the caption for the second or third image (when you pop the image out) takes the caption from the first image.  Driving me crazy!  I keep resetting the captions for the subsequent images, but they keep grabbing the first image caption when it is popped-out. Any ideas? Is this a known bug? I only see one other post about this, which seems unresolved (Picture captions are wrong - Map Journal )

Link to my map journal:

http://bellingham.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=d1064d2308fa4465a89e17785810514d

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

Sorry you are having this issue. I can observe the in your journal and the one from the GeoNet thread you linked to. We are tracking this issue internally, and I just made an issue on our public GitHub repository that you can follow.

Issues with captions and inline images in side panel · Issue #60 · Esri/map-journal-storytelling-tem...

However, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue in builder yet. Could you please let me know some more details about how you created that section that might help us isolate the problem?

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Hi Owen,

I added the pictures through the builder interface.  They are referenced by URL.  The images were not always loaded at the same time.  For example, I might insert an image in the side panel of the section and then later that day or another day, add a second image with a caption.  It is also confusing because it doesn't happen in all instances and I have no idea why sometimes the issue arises and sometimes it doesn't.  Site #4 has the issue, but Site #10 is fine

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

I just cleared out all the images in the side panel for site #4 (which was having the caption issues), and then re-added the two images at the same time (same edit session), with captions and now it is fine.  Not excited to re-do many sections and seems buggy that this is the fix, or that you can't add images subsequently?

-Kate

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kate,

Sorry you have to redo those sections now, but I'm glad you found a workaround. Thanks for the additional information you provided. We will continue to try to reproduce this to isolate the issue so we can fix in a future release.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Still very buggy.  Now the second image won't "pop-out".  When I go back in and double click the second image in the section, to verify that I have check the "expand" image button, hit save, then it will expand (pop-out) like it is supposed to, but once again takes the first caption.  Ahhhh!

I think ultimately the safest "workaround" will be to remove all captions, which is really unfortunate.

0 Kudos
SherrieHubble
New Contributor

Kate, I've had the same issue with my map series story map just recently and haven't found a lot on fixing this issue. I checked the RTF code and it is correct, but when I view the story map and expand the images, they only show the caption from the first image. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos