Select to view content in your preferred language

TopCon GRS-1 and Arcpad

03-26-2012 12:42 PM
KristanWashburn
New Contributor
I have been trying to utilize the evaluation copy of Arcpad on our Topcon GRS-1 one mobile computer to see whether we are interested in purchasing the product or not but can't seem to get the GPS functionality to work. I know that the preferences are set to the right com port as I have a surveying utility on the device that seems to work with that com port, however when I try those setting within arcpad I get a no satellite fix message. I tried to use the search for GPS (little binoculars) and it comes up with the message no gps device detected. If anyone has any idea how I could remedy this problem that would be great. Thank you.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HannahFerrier
Deactivated User
I will prefix this by saying that I DO NOT have one of these devices on hand - However:

I have found with some other mobile devices that if you use the software on the device to turn on the GPS and then open ArcPad and use the binoculars to find the GPS it may work.

Have you tried turning on the GPS BEFORE starting ArcPad??

HTH

Hannah
0 Kudos
MarietteHachey-Boudreau
Emerging Contributor
Using arcpad on the GSR-1 requires "topcon Tools for arcpad". This software will add a toolbar into arcpad that allows you to set up, activate and deactivate the GPS. It is a bit buggy though.
0 Kudos
JasonHooten
Emerging Contributor
Are you just wanting to use WAAS corrections? If so, I can send you a free utility called eGPS that was designed to manage the GPS in the GRS-1 and supply the NMEA to ArcPad.

Tip on Field Tools for ArcPad. It works very well, but you do have to make shure when you install it that you only install it into an authorized version of ArcPad not a demo version. Also, make sure the scripting is set to jscript. Other than that it should load and perform as one would expect.

-Jason
0 Kudos