How would I add search functionality to bookmark web app builder widget?

Jump to solution
02-26-2015 10:41 AM
BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a bookmark widget I'm working on that will wind up containing a number of bookmarks.  In the current application that I'm working to replace users are used to scrolling through a long list to get to their desired bookmark.  Putting aside the discussion of why they want bookmarks vs. searching in a geocoder I'd like to offer them search functionality in the bookmarks list.  Off the bat I'd imagine changing the "add bookmark" input space into a search box.  Any thoughts on this?  As always I'm also open to other methods to accomplish my goal of simplifying my users lives.

Thanks,

Brandon

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brandon,

I liked this idea so I did the work for it. Attached you will find the updated bookmark widget.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brandon,

I liked this idea so I did the work for it. Attached you will find the updated bookmark widget.

BrandonKeinath1

Hi Robert,

This is really cool; thank you!  If we ever meet in person at a conference I owe you, and all the other folks on geonet who have helped me, a beer.  Or if that's not your thing then a firm handshake.

I'll put on my Oliver Twist hat and ask if it would be possible to filter the bookmark list based on the search criteria.  I like how it highlights the bookmark when you search but in the case where I have many similarly named bookmarks it could still involve a good deal of scrolling.  For example, I have 30 bookmarks that start with "S".  A user might type "S" a be brought down to where the S's start but still have to scroll.  Don't get me wrong I really like the functionality so far but just wonder if what I'm describing would be possible.

I'm also having issues modifying the bookmark config.json file.  I'm able to make the changes but when I save and refresh the page I don't see any of the changes.  I posted my issue here How do I add bookmarks via code to bookmark widget in web app builder application?  and perhaps you have some thoughts on that as well.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brandon,

OK, filtering the bookmarks is a great idea. Here is a new filtering version.

BrandonKeinath1

Hi Robert,

This looks great!  Thanks for all of your work and help.  Once I have my bookmark issue resolved I'll post back.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos