Issues with Batch Grid Control in ArcGIS 10 (copy/paste/browse)

01-24-2011 01:02 PM
AndyRitchie
Occasional Contributor
I use the batch grid control a lot to deal with large sets of rasters. If it works right, it can be a time saver for processing raster data. For example, copying and pasting text that you generate with a script or excel to the batch raster grid. But I have two problems with it:

First, If I want to add batch parameters for a thousand grids, I can easily generate the parameters a variety of ways, but I can't just paste them into the batch grid - I need to click on the "+" symbol a thousand times to add a thousand records so I can paste. If I try to paste a thousand rows from excel, I can actually see them all paste in, then get deleted down to the number of rows that I've added with the "+" button. That's ridiculous.

Second, the documentation for using the batch grid control says that "Browse" is available when a parameter is a dataset. However this is not always the case (for example, the "Input" variable on the "Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset" tool.

If either one of these worked better, I could easily add a thousand grids and generate a nice batch file that let me work on something else for a while. As it is, it makes more sense to loop with python. Please improve batch grid functionality.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LoganPugh
Occasional Contributor III
I agree that the batch grid control needs work. I voted for your idea: Batch Grid Control - improve copy/paste/browse functionality

See also:

If you don't want to use a Python loop you could also try the new iterators in ModelBuilder, which I think do work well for simple, single loops but are probably not worth the effort for nested looping.
0 Kudos