Arcade Expressions in Web AppBuilder Widgets

02-27-2019 12:08 PM
JackCibor
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Esri, 

It would be extremely useful and powerful for Arcade expressions that are set up in a web map to be supported in Web AppBuilder and that these expressions could be visualized across all 'widgets' in Web AppBuilder. 

There are so many use cases for Arcade Expressions and it's fairly disappointing that this is not a supported functionality yet. Currently it appears that only popups in the map and the attribute table honor the derived fields created in the Web Map. It would be great if Infographics, Filter, and Extra Data Sources could support these fields as well.

Tags (2)
8 Comments
by Anonymous User

I highly agree on this idea too. For users it would be extreme usefull to not only see values from Arcade expressions (f.e. with shape length and area) in a pop-up, but also to see them in the attribute table and other widgets in de webapp. The power of the webapp is not only to see the data of one single object, but to investigate multiple objects at once!

Thanks a lot in advance if you could make this possible!

AlixVezina

Please review the following article published on 3 January 2021: Introducing smart forms in ArcGIS Field Maps (esri.com)

Near the bottom of the article: 

Attribute rules – are user-defined rules that can be used to automatically populate attributes, restrict invalid edits, and perform quality assurance checks on existing features when they are submitted. Attribute rules are coming to hosted feature services and to forms so that you can execute business logic in your form connected or offline.

Smart forms may provide the capabilities you require moving forward.

RussellProvost1

I could not agree more. I work in the transportation planning industry which is very data intensive. I maintain most of my data in related tables. For example, a single intersection may have several counts across various dates. I am gearing up to make a transportation monitoring dashboard and was dreading having to rearrange my data as flat files to make it play nice with ArcGIS Online. I was elated to leverage the new arcade feature set statements to create custom variables for popups/charts. I ASSUMED I would be able to leverage these same arcade statements in Web App Builder's info graphic widgets/dashboard. Boy was I wrong. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. 

Erin_Storey

Yes please! This would be a great added functionality to web apps. I am currently trying to configure a web mapping application in Web AppBuilder for collecting contact information for land parcels. I used simple custom Arcade expressions to combine the phone number fields into one field for display in popup, but this would also be useful for inputting phone numbers in the Smart Editor widget when collecting new numbers. I hope this functionality is coming soon!  

LindaKuhn

It would be very useful if Arcade expressions, that are set up in a web map, would be supported in Web AppBuilder and that these expressions could be visualized across all 'widgets' in Web AppBuilder. 

JwHayes

Agree, @LindaKuhn! This would be so helpful. I'm surprised it's not already supported.