Adding functionality for including an alias in the Enterprise Builder deployment

02-26-2018 04:21 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

At present, Builder automatically sets the webcontextURL using thehostname of the machine, causing the whole installation being unusable from outside the LAN/intranet.

As I suppose ArcGIS Enterprise is also often used to publish and share GIS services externally, why this isn't something that an automatic installer would allow???

So the idea is basically to have the builder asking for an alias name so that everytime one would access the portal can do it using it instead of an useless/unresolvable FQDN!

This idea came from this thread.

5 Comments
DEWright_CA

This is handled by adding/updating the appropriate configuration in your webserver. If you are using IIS this is just additional aliases with matching certs; in Apache it's a bit more complex but totally possible.

AlessandroValra

David Wright‌ can you please elaborate a bit? I am not a sysadmin so it would be very useful to understand it if it is possible without too much effort. IIS would be enough to begin. Thanks in advance.

DEWright_CA

@Alessando_Valra , sure thing. You site builder builds the machine with everything running local. You will need to go into IIS Manager application, then user your Machine\Sites you will see the "Default Web Site" in the left hand tree-nav, select it and you will see the actions block on the right side of the screen update. Here you will see the option for "Bindings" , here you can set the alternate host names for access of the web, assign it to port 80/443 and configure your certificates.

Here is the main docs for it.. Adding a Default Binding | Microsoft Docs 

AlessandroValra

David Wright‌ that will not solve many problems. If you see the linked thread I posted that made me creating this idea you'll understand.

AndreaB_

oof, Esri got me on this one... in 2024. Thank you for posting this idea!