ArcGIS Pro broken by .NET 4.7.1 security update

Document created by curtvprice Champion on Jan 17, 2018Last modified by curtvprice Champion on Jan 17, 2018
Version 8Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Recently (Jan 10, 2017) a Windows update broke my Pro startup on Windows 7 systems. I got to Initializing... and Pro failed with the attached dialog. 
Pro crash on startup

ArcGIS Pro has encountered a serious application error and is unable to continue.

I was totally stuck on this issue until I looked in Windows Event Viewer and found this error:

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Application: ArcGISPro.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileFormatException
at MS.Internal.FontFace.CompositeFontParser.Fail(System.String, System.Exception

The error message led me here:

.NET Framework January 2018 Rollup Known Issue KB4074906 - "TypeInitializationException" or "FileFormatException" error … 

An issue has been found in the .NET Framework January 2018 Security and Quality Rollup. The .NET team is in the process of fixing the issue. This document describes the symptom and workarounds to resolve the issue while you are waiting for a fix.

This .NET update issue has been reported to affect other  WPF apps, not just Pro.

The MSDN blog warns to not apply this update to Windows 7 and 2008R2 systems. Too bad they didn't tell that to the Windows Update team (or maybe they have by now).

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/01/09/net-framework-january-2018-security-and-quality-rollup/ 

The first (github.com) link above provides several workarounds. I went for the one that seemed least painful (and dangerous).

1. Uninstalled .NET 4.7.1 from add/remove programs

2. Downloaded  and installed .NET 4.7 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55170
3. Pro started up okay

UPDATE This did not work because overnight 4.7.1 and the patches were reinstalled by Windows Update.

So I tried Workaround #3:

1. Downloaded non-corrupted Windows 7 font file (what a dumb problem - did Microsoft not run a checksum?) to my Downloads folder

2. Opened a command window prompt as administrator and ran these two commands:

xcopy /y %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\Fonts
xcopy /y %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\Fonts

3. Pro startup up okay.

Hopefully Windows Update won't undo this!

I logged this with Esri Support (Esri Case #02047360 - Pro will not start up)  but they are not assigning a bug number because it is a Microsoft issue.

Attachments

Outcomes