Shapefile as Imagery Layer

Jump to solution
03-25-2023 03:45 PM
MárciaBM
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm new working with ArcGIS, so I'm sorry if this is some basic stuff that I should know. I have a shapefile with some polygons and I want to show it as a raster layer (Imagery Layer) in my website that uses the Maps SDK for JavaScript. Using ArcMap I managed to convert it to a raster file, but now what do I need to do? From some other posts I think it is possible using the imagery service from ArcGIS Enterprise, but I don't have a licence for that, is there any other way?

Thank you in advance,

Márcia Matias

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sage_Wall
Esri Contributor

An ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online license is required to publish hosted tiled imagery layers to ArcGIS Online. To use your raster image without ArcGIS Online or Enterprise you would likely need to convert it into a Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF and create an ImageryTileLayer  or you could place it on a map with MediaLayer.

Without seeing the data itself its hard and I'm making assumptions, but since the data originated in a shapefile and is vector polygon data originally, I would suggest publishing it as a FeatureLayer following these  directions: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/publish-features.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_B096C5A223954...

Using a FeatureLayer will give you access to the traditional vector geoprocessing tools for analysis and will also allow for things like popups, labels, editing, and client-side visualization and analysis.  It won't however allow for raster analysis and functions.  For that you would need to purchase the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online license or Image Server for Enterprise.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Sage_Wall
Esri Contributor

Hi @MárciaBM,

Everyone is new at some point, thanks for posting your question.

Is there a reason for needing to convert the shapefile to a raster layer?  Shapefiles are more easily converted into a FeatureLayer either through publishing to ArcGIS Online or Enterprise or though converting the Shapefile to a client side feature layer as shown in this example.

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/sandbox/?sample=layers-featurelayer-shap...

To use your raster image without ArcGIS Online or Enterprise you would likely need to convert it into a Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF and create an ImageryTileLayer  or you could place it on a map with MediaLayer.

0 Kudos
MárciaBM
New Contributor II

Hello @Sage_Wall 

Thank you for the fast reply!

I'm working on a web app and based on its context I think the raster data would be a better option for the final user. But it seems to be much more difficult to use with ArcGIS Developer than the vector layers. I have a licence in ArcGIS Online, but it doesn't seem to have the necessary permissions to create Imagery Layers. I've managed to create a Tile Layer with the raster data, but as a consequence I can't inspect the data, for instance, with a popup, which would be the ideal.

So, is there something I can use to display and analyse my raster data without ArcGIS Enterprise or without TileLayers?

0 Kudos
Sage_Wall
Esri Contributor

An ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online license is required to publish hosted tiled imagery layers to ArcGIS Online. To use your raster image without ArcGIS Online or Enterprise you would likely need to convert it into a Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF and create an ImageryTileLayer  or you could place it on a map with MediaLayer.

Without seeing the data itself its hard and I'm making assumptions, but since the data originated in a shapefile and is vector polygon data originally, I would suggest publishing it as a FeatureLayer following these  directions: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/publish-features.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_B096C5A223954...

Using a FeatureLayer will give you access to the traditional vector geoprocessing tools for analysis and will also allow for things like popups, labels, editing, and client-side visualization and analysis.  It won't however allow for raster analysis and functions.  For that you would need to purchase the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online license or Image Server for Enterprise.

MárciaBM
New Contributor II

Okay, thank you for your help 🙂

0 Kudos