Register Database with ArcGIS Server 10.1

07-02-2012 12:56 PM
AbhishekTandon
New Contributor
Hi,

When I trying to register database with ArcGIS Server 10.1, I am getting error (Machine :<Machine name> [GIS_Connection: The data item is inaccessible)

I am using Oracle 11g Database authentication and saved password in .sde file.
.sde file is saved in D:\connections folder and domain GIS Server account has full control. I also tried to create new connection and pass new .sde file but un-successful.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
ReziKenia
New Contributor II
i have the same problem.

how can i install 64bit client libraries? i don't now if i have them...
0 Kudos
JoelShegrud
New Contributor II
Do you have the 64bit client libraries installed on the Server?

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/About_registering_your_data_with_the_serve...

I have installed SQL 2008R2 express 64 bit.
I also tried to run the native client installers from the customer care portal and from Microsoft. They both said that "a higher version already exists on the machine"

In Sql Server Configuration Manager the SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration still says (32 bit).

How do I change it to 64 bit?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ArcGIS Server Standard Wrokgroup 10.1
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
SQL 2008 Express
0 Kudos
JoelShegrud
New Contributor II
Do you have the 64bit client libraries installed on the Server?

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/About_registering_your_data_with_the_serve...

I get the same error using SQL 2008 Express 64 bit.
I gave permissions to the arcgis user for the geodatabase I am trying to register as well as to the connection folder. I was able to see and manipulate data when I was logged in as the arcgis user.

To simplify testing, the data and the server installation are held on the same computer.

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help in advance

Ben

ArcGIS Server 10.1 Standard Workgroup
ArcGIS Desktop Standard 10.1
SQL 2008 R2 express 64 bit
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
0 Kudos
DenisO_
New Contributor
Has anybody solved this problem?
0 Kudos
JoelShegrud
New Contributor II
I just got off the phone with ESRI tech support with a solution that worked on our system.

Apparently there was something wrong with our DNS service so that it wasn't passing along host names (I don't really understand this part) So there are two options: fix the DNS, which I don't as of yet know how to do, or instead of using the host name when referencing the database use the local machine IP (IPV4 not IPV6).

For example:

When I wanted to connect to the database
in the field "Instance:" I would use "server\GISsql" which gave the error.
The way that works is to use the machine IP "192.168.0.555\GISsql"

I am sure that is clear as mud, but if you have specific questions I can probably explain it better.

Here are the specs of my system so you can see if yours matches up and this solution would work for you.
ArcGIS 10.1
SQL 2008 R2 express
Windows 7 professional
Operating system authentication

Way excited that it works!
0 Kudos
BrianBorg1
New Contributor II
I am facing the same problem. It was working fine when all of a sudden the error starts popping up. I have tried to replace the computer name with the IP but still no success. Please ESRI help us on this issue.
0 Kudos
JoelShegrud
New Contributor II
Some Things that I did to make things work more smoothly which might solve the problem:

I started using DB authentication instead of Windows authentication.
I make sure that every time the service is referenced it uses the server IP and not the server name.
I make sure that the connection file is using the the server IP.
I make sure that the feature service in the map is also set to use the server IP.

If I get all those ducks in a row it usually works.

If that doesn't, maybe you could provide a little more detail about when you are encountering the problem and what parameters you are using.
0 Kudos
TasadduqHussain
New Contributor III
Place Attached files 64 Bit Dlls into Bin Folder of ArcGIS Server 10.1 .
Regards,
0 Kudos