Can't delete Feature Class

02-09-2012 06:20 AM
MatthewGerbrandt
New Contributor II
I can�??t delete a Feature Class within a versioned Feature Dataset.  I don�??t get an error or anything, I simply don�??t get the option to delete it when I right-click (see attached).  I�??m using ArcGIS 10 and MS SQL 2005.

I�??ve tried everything I can think of, including putting the database into single user mode and logging in as SA.  No dice.  I�??ve tried using the following script to find locks but even when there are no locks, I still can�??t delete the FC.

SELECT a.owner + '.' + a.table_name locked_table, a.registration_id, 
b.owner locked_by, b.nodename machine, b.start_time 
FROM sde.SDE_table_registry a, sde.SDE_process_information b, sde.SDE_table_locks c
WHERE a.registration_id = c.registration_id
AND b.sde_id = c.sde_id
ORDER BY locked_table

All help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NanaDei
Esri Contributor
Is 'DBO.Parcels' participating in the 'Cadaster_Toplogy'?
If it is participating in the topology, the 'Delete' option will be grayed out.

Thanks
MatthewGerbrandt
New Contributor II
Yes, I'm sure it is participating in the topology.  Is there a solution as far as removing it from the topology somehow?
0 Kudos
NanaDei
Esri Contributor
The feature dataset must be unversioned first, prior to removing it from the topology. This behavior has been enhanced in the upcoming release of ArcGIS 10.1, where feature classes from a versioned topology can be removed when the ArcSDE geodatabase is version 10.0 or higher.

Thanks
0 Kudos
MatthewGerbrandt
New Contributor II
Thank you very much for your answers and your patience.  I've been doing some research on how to un-version the Feature Dataset.  I understand that I want to compress the Feature Dataset before un-versioning it. 

For the life of me, I can't find an article that tells me exactly how to compress the versioned Feature Dataset.  The search engine at http://support.esri.com is not much help.  Could anyone post a link showing how to compress a versioned Feature Dataset?
0 Kudos
NanaDei
Esri Contributor
Thanks for your response.

The following link discusses unregistering data as versioned.
Step 1 can be skipped if sde.DEFAULT or dbo.DEFAULT is the ONLY version in the geodatabase. Complete step 1 if child versions exist in the geodatabase.
The following geoprocessing tools can be used for the 'compress' and 'unregister as versioned' operation.
-- Data Management Tools > Database > Compress
-- Data Management Tools > Versions > Unregister as Versioned

The following link also sheds light on registering and unregistering data as versioned.

Please let us know if the above information helps in your case.

Thanks
0 Kudos