Python script crashing with a fault on MaplexEngineLib.dll

02-01-2012 10:43 AM
JeremyRead
New Contributor II
I am running a python script that exports a few thousand grid maps to .pdf format using Data Driven Pages.  The script works perfectly on the various grid map .mxds, except for one.  It randomly crashes after exporting a few hundred from a specific.mxd with the following windows error:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: python.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 4ba3e443
  Fault Module Name: MaplexEngineLib.dll
  Fault Module Version: 10.0.3.3600
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4e790ac9
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 000eefd5
  OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have run the script on two different machines and get this same error.  At first, I thought it might be a problem with the layer files used for the .mxd (they are all created using Maplex), however the EXACT same layer files are being used on a different .mxd (that has 4-times as many grids) and it runs perfectly.  Do you guys have any ideas of why this might be happening?  We have tried using Mxdoctor, etc. with no success.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Jeremy,

Crashes are serious and should always be reported, so we can get to work on a fix.

If you submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you. Providing a sample of your data would be helpful, especially if you can narrow down the problem to a single layer or feature.
http://support.esri.com/en/
0 Kudos
AlessandroCinnirella
New Contributor III
do you have other python verion installed?
if so retain only python that comes with th Arcgis installation

hope this helps

AC
0 Kudos
JeremyRead
New Contributor II
Hi Jeremy,

Crashes are serious and should always be reported, so we can get to work on a fix.
If you submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you. Providing a sample of your data would be helpful, especially if you can narrow down the problem to a single layer or feature.
http://support.esri.com/en/

Thank you, I will do that.  Unfortunately I have been unable to narrow down the problem to anything except the .mxd, and even that has been recreated many times.  The error seems to happen randomly.

do you have other python verion installed?
if so retain only python that comes with th Arcgis installation

hope this helps

AC

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have checked and I do not have multiple installs of Python, but that was definitely a good idea for what could cause problems.
0 Kudos
JeremyRead
New Contributor II
Posting the script if anyone want to take a look and see if you find anything that stands out.  Warning:  it's long.

The error I provided in the original post is taking place in the "Water Full Grids" and "Pressure Zone Grids" sections.  Both of these use the same grids, as well as the same layer files, though they are symbolized differently.  Interestingly, "Water Quarter Grids" uses the exact same layer files as Water Full Grids, but it is at a smaller scale and there are way more maps exported (1800 vs. 490).  All layer files use Maplex.

(I still wish DDP was more accessible in ArcObjects)

Thank you ahead of time for any and all suggestions 🙂
0 Kudos