Calculating Lag Size for non-uniform point data

12-01-2011 10:44 AM
KylePurdon
New Contributor
I have data points collected along lines of flights flown in a "kind of" grid pattern. Point spacing is ~150m along the flight path and the grid patterns of the flights are usually ~5km apart. The "Geo statistical Wizard" help menu in the ordinary kriging function recommends using the average nearest neighbor tool to calculate the lag size value, but for this data that value is very low because of the point density along flightlines.

My question is? How do I calculate lag size for data like this?

My ideas...
- User the average distance to center points of the resulting gridded cell size. (For example if the cell size will be 1000m the lag size would be [ sqrt(1000^2+1000^2) * 2 ]

I've attached a screenshot of an example dataset. Note that these are points ~150m spaced along the lines.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor
There are a lot of different techniques you could try, but the simplest is to use the "Optimize Model" button.  It's on the semivariogram screen in the Geostatistical Wizard, at the top.  It will find the optimal lag size (among other parameters) that minimizes the root-mean-square prediction error.
0 Kudos