How to create/display a symbol with a ranking value?

10-20-2011 08:30 AM
MaryWang
New Contributor
I�??m using ArcGIS 10, and geocoded a list of addresses.  In the table, I also have added a ranking value (1..8).  How do I display a symbol on ArcMap such as the symbol like the Google map (see attached) with a ranking value dynamically displayed inside a symbol.  For example, a symbol of a circle with a value of '1', '2', and etc inside the symbol like the Google map symbol using 'A', 'B' and etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Mary Wang
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnKeeling
New Contributor
This can be done using symbol categories, one for each value. Use your ranking as the Value Field and add all of your values. To create a symbol similar to the one above open the symbol properties and go to Edit Symbol... Change the type to Character Marker Symbol and select ESRI Climate & Precipitation for the font. Select the rain drop symbol, change the angle to 180 and the color to whatever you want. You will probably want to increase the size of the symbol to 16 or so and give it an offset of Y = -5 so the point at the bottom is on the address. Next add another marker with the appropriate number and position it within the first marker using the offset tools. Once you have created one of the symbols save it so the others can be built simply by changing the number marker.
0 Kudos