Select to view content in your preferred language

GP message text for create enterprise GDB

09-05-2011 02:06 AM
VytautasGipiskis
Esri Contributor
Hello,

Failed to create new enterprise GDB (SQL Server, SDE schema). Reason - password is too short.
But GP error message needs to be improved -  explanatory text shown in 2 places, part of the error description do not fits into the GP message area (see screenshot attached).

Best Regards,
Vytautas
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VytautasGipiskis
Esri Contributor
One more notice, after supplying new password,  tool still fails (message below).
I do suppose those GP tools was created for uneducated DBA's in mind. What actions he should do after receiving such a message ?
- try same GP tool by guessing till it will work ?

Executing: CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase "SQL Server" localhost\sqlexpress sde OPERATING_SYSTEM_AUTH # # SDE_SCHEMA sde ***** # C:\Users\vgipiskis\Desktop\B1\keycodes101.ecp
Start Time: Mon Sep 05 13:30:01 2011
User has privileges required to create database objects.
Database created.
Error creating geodatabase admin user. [ERROR: Failed to create sqlserver login sde (-51).
Error: Underlying DBMS error (-51).
Extended error code: (15116)
Underlying DBMS error
]
Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).
Failed at Mon Sep 05 13:30:04 2011 (Elapsed Time: 3.00 seconds)
0 Kudos
ThomasDunn
Deactivated User
Vytautas,

Thanks for pointing this out.  We see that there are at least two issues here with the error display, and we are looking at these now.  The last error message from the scrolling message area is displayed at the top of the dialog.  In this case, it is too long to fit properly.  The etire message does appear below.  Secondly, the SQL Server error message appears there, and you interpreted this correctly as "password is too short".  (See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645936.aspx) What I do not understand is why you got this same error again after changing your password.  Are you certain that the new password was long enough to pass the password policy verification for your server?

Thank you.

-- Thomas Dunn
0 Kudos
VytautasGipiskis
Esri Contributor
Hi Thomas,

Actually second issue was  authentication mode used for the SQL Server express instance( I'm using SQL Express for workgroup and enterprise GDB testing). Default is Windows authentication, and I forgot to set to the mixed mode. Shame on me.

Probably additional test needs to be included in the GP tool to test if SQL server authentication is enabled, before creating GDB with SDE based authentication, and more meaningful & user friendly error messages for beginner DBA�??s. Everyone should be interested to reduce call volume to support 🙂

Best Regards,
Vytautas
0 Kudos
ThomasDunn
Deactivated User
Vytautas,

Thanks for the additional information. 

In case you are doing this, I want to point out that the Create Enterprise Geodatabase GP tool should not be used to create Workgroup geodatabases on SQL Server Express.  This tool does not perform all the necessary steps to create a fully-functional Workgroup geodatabase.  For example, the license keycode is not written to the Windows registry and is therefore not available for creating, restoring or attaching additional geodatabases on the same SQL Server Express instance.

For this reason at Beta 2 we will block the use of Workgroup geodatabase licenses with this GP tool.  You should continue using the existing tools provided with Workgroup to enable SQL Server Express for geodatabase storage and for creating new geodatabases therein. 

Also, please remember that we do not support mixed-mode authentication on Workgroup SQL Server geodatabases.

Thank you.

-- Thomas Dunn
0 Kudos
VytautasGipiskis
Esri Contributor
Hi Thomas,

Looks like my previous message was misunderstood. I used SQL Server Express as a database for Enterprise GDB, and I know that Workgroup GDB should use a SQL server with windows authentication. But it just works on mixed mode as well 🙂
0 Kudos