Why does the modified feature duplicate instead of just remaining modified?

06-13-2011 12:02 PM
__6
by
New Contributor
I'm trying to movie a line but for some reason, once it moves, it leaves the old positioning for the line while also displaying where the line has been movied to. Attached are before and after screen shots. I tried moving the line up but as you can see, it is also still displayed where it was before. Any suggestions?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Did you press F2 to finish your sketch in between screen shots? If not, give it a try.
0 Kudos
__6
by
New Contributor
Did you press F2 to finish your sketch in between screen shots? If not, give it a try.

All that happened was that it went from the original one being selected to the new one being selected. Both were still there (as seen in the second screen shot).
thanks for at least replying though!
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
You should try selecting both lines and see if there are two (or more) records selected in your attribute table. This would indicate that there is duplicate geometry, as suggested in another thread.
0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
I would agree with Darren.  If you find all your lines seem to have duplicates, you might consider running a planarize on your feature class perhaps using a copy in case you don't like the results at some point.  The Feature to Line tool applied to a polygon feature class, for instance, produces duplicate lines due to the coincident geometry of the polygons.  So to edit the lines I planarize first.  I'm not sure how CAD programs do things but I have gotten some over the years filled with duplicate lines.
0 Kudos