Data Driven Pages legend issue

03-18-2011 12:08 PM
BryanM
by
New Contributor III
I haven't come across this in the forums.  I'm having an issue with my legend where certain symbols are being shifted up after/during exportation to PDF.  All the symbols are from SDE layer files, the difference with these particular symbols is that they are shown as unique values within the same layer file (see inserted image).  I tried turning DDP off and creating a PDF, using this layer file and had no issues.  I also tried adding the SDE feature class with DDP on, with no issues, however as soon as I import the symbology from the layer file, I get the upward shift again.  I then picked a couple of random symbols to make sure that it wasn't the symbology causing problems, that again produced the same results.  Finally, I tried using a querry definition to only show hospitals, and the symbol still shifted upward. So it appears to me that this issue seems to be specific to feature classes and layers (and probably shapefiles) where originally there were more than one symbol shown, within DDP.  I'm wondering if this is perhaps specific to the type of symbol being shown? My symbols are character markers.

I haven't tried this yet, but my work around appears to be separating health care facilities and hospitals into two new feature classes (the way the other symbols are being shown), which is counter productive to the whole process and our SDE setup.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Any ideas for other work arounds?

Cheers,
Bryan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm trying to reproduce the issue.  I've tried everything you suggest (SDE data, no SDE data, DDP, no DDP, etc).  I'm even trying to use the same symbols.

Could you send me a couple of your layer files?  Send directly to jbarrette@esri.com.

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
BryanM
by
New Contributor III
I believe this issue was ultimately caused by the font that the symbols were created with.  When I recreated the symbol using using arial black as the font, they exported in the correct location.  It really was bizzare how this only appeared in PDFs though. The only thing that I could think of was that there must be a version conflict with the font, which came from one of our provincial ministry partners, and our version of ArcGIS.
0 Kudos
JustinShepard
Occasional Contributor II
Similar problem. I setup an mxd using data drive pages and everything looked good on the screen but when I exported it the legend shifted off the page and the inset map lost all of it's connections. The REALLY strange part was that none of this showed in ArcMap (even with a page refresh) until I restarted the program. I'm trying a variet of things to see what fixes this... I'lll try to post the results later. But if anyone has a suggestion before I figure it out let me know. Even after restarting the same things happens each time I export (both single pdf and multiple pages).
0 Kudos