[ArcGIS 9.3.1]Geocode addresses failed. Failed to execute (Geocode Addresses)

01-26-2011 01:32 PM
JunMeng
New Contributor
Hi,

This is what I want to do in ArcGIS 9.3.1:

A geoprocessing model gets address records from a database (Employees), geocodes them and generates a feature class. The goal of the geoprocessing model is to be used by a website to display addresses on the map based on user input (e.g. Employee's state).

The model is simple: Make Query Table (with query parameter) to get addresses --> Geocode Addresses to generate feature class (in %scratchworkspace%).

But every time I ran that model, it gave me the same generic error: ERROR 000010: Geocode addresses failed. Failed to execute (Geocode Addresses).

The same address locator (ESRI Street_addresses_US) used in the model works fine in ArcCatalog to geocode the same database table (in Employees), so both the address locator and source addresses are good.

The model and Employees database (fake data) are attached here. Could somebody give me a hint where is the problem?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jun

The input to the Geocode Addresses geoprocessing tool must be a table object, not a table view such as Make Query Table outputs.  Add a step to write the view into a workspace and geocode from that.

Regards
0 Kudos
JunMeng
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply.

I tried to add a "Table to Table" tool with "in_memory" workspace to the model, but still got the same error. Could you tell me what else to do?
0 Kudos
JunMeng
New Contributor
I changed the model a little bit and found new issues.

1. Changed address locator to Composit_US because the addresses in the Employee table are fake
2. Removed employee name and other related columns although they are fake data

Mysteriously now I can run Geocode Addresses model without seeing that error message!

But... when I run that model in ArcMap, what I get is empty table: All of the data rows have Status="U", X=Y=0, and all the original columns from Employee table are empty!

What does that mean?

I can geocode the same addresses using the same Composite_US address locator in ArcCatalog correctly. I am so confused and frustrated with this Geocode Addresses tool!

Could somebody help me out? Please?
0 Kudos
JunMeng
New Contributor
I begin to think these tools are buggy:

1. "Table to Table": only returns empty table when input is Table View, although the online document says this tool supports Table View
2. "Make Table View": returns empty table view if the data source is from SQL database. For local file database, this tool works fine
3. "Make Query Table": Does not accept Alias column names at all! It also returns empty table view when many (>15???) columns are involved. I have to remove some columns to get data out from SQL database.

I made the Employee sample works to a point after I struggled with the buggy tools for many days (see attachment). But:

1. I have to use "Copy Rows" in stead of "Table to Table" to save data to a table. "Copy Rows" cuts column name. In the real project, what I get in the output are columns with names like "xxxxxxxxx_1", "xxxxxxxxx_2", "xxxxxxxxx_3", "xxxxxxxxx_4" ... Really annoying! Is there another better tool to use?
2. The "Copy Rows" does not accept "%scratchworkspace%". It uses physical path to save intermediate file. But how can I use this tool on ArcGIS server where many users run this model at the same time?

I am still new to ArcGIS models. The only book that may help me with the ModelBuilder will be published in June this year when my project is scheduled to be finished already &%$&*^&*
0 Kudos
LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor
I received the same error message when I tried geocoding using a table from a personal geodatabase, i.e., *.mdb (same as you)!

I exported my table to a *.dbf and then I could geocode the data just fine.
I also created a new file geodatabase, *.gdb, and imported the table, and stored my results in the same file geodatabase.  Geocoding worked with this table also.

Note, I was using my own Address Locator -- US Dual Range Addresses.
0 Kudos