ArcGIS Snippet Finder - Where is it?

10-25-2010 12:08 PM
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,
I am just going through the "Building custom UI elements using add-ins" walkthrough.  ArcGIS integrated development environment (IDE) is installed. No problems creating the ArcMap Add-on project until i get to the part where i am suppose to RIGHT-CLICK in the editor window and select the ArcGIS Snippet Finder...

There is no ArcGIS Snippet Finder on the shortcut menu that pops up (see attached)

An example of what i should be seeing is here: http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//00010000036s000000

So where is it?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TomGiles
New Contributor
Same problem here - do you have an Express addition of your IDE? I'm using VS2008Express and I have a feeling that's the issue. I've tried reinstalling the two software packages in different order to no avail. I have a support request in with ESRI - I will let you know if no one beats me to it.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Thanks Chris, this is the VS Express version of the Finder although it does not do any "finding".

I have to say I am VERY disappointed with ESRI's claims that all that is needed to migrate VBA customization to Add-Ins is the Express Edition of Visual Studio.  NOT SO!
No debugging unless one searches other .Net sources on how to debug a "dll" with the Express edition - and tweaks the XML on per project basis.
And now - no ability to search snippets on demand
SIGH...
ArcGIS should be shipping with a full version of Visual Studio to even come close to what VBA is capable of.
0 Kudos
TomGiles
New Contributor
I was able to add ArcObject snippets in the general snippets menu, as explained in your linked post.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Yes is does work with the Express edition but the functionality is limited; No Searching of snippets. It basically adds a sort of intelli-sense type snippet option. I imagine managing and editing snippets will also be very limited in Express edition. Still, it does work.  Despite my previous rant, i must say that i am pleased with how tingly integrated the Add-ins are with the framework. It might actually be worth my efforts once i convert all my VBA scripts into add-ins...
0 Kudos
Lars_FindLarsen
New Contributor
tried to remove and re-install visual studio and arcgis .net sdk several times in various orders - all with no succes.

but then I downloaded "ArcGIS Snippet Finder 3" and added this app. as an "External Tool" in VBExpress - this works OK
0 Kudos
EvanThoms
Occasional Contributor II
Thank you larsfind!

for the dummies (read: me):

• Download the snippet finder

• Unzip wherever

• Go to Tools > External Tools in studio express and navigate to ArcGISSnippetFinder.exe in the 'Command' window

• Uncheck 'Prompt for arguments' (I don't understand the path options here, maybe someone can provide a good reason for setting either 'Arguments' or 'Initial directory'?)

• The first time you open the finder you will need to 'Attach to an ArcGIS snippet directory' under File, but thereafter it will remember the directory.

You can search, but I (at least) do not get the 'Tools' or 'ArcObjects' menu items that appear in any screenshot I've seen of the AG10 Finder. I like that I can run the finder as a standalone application outside of Studio.
0 Kudos
RuchiraWelikala
Occasional Contributor
What I did was simply modified the interface to have the Snippet Finder in my tool bar (command button).
Works the same!
0 Kudos