dotted raster pattern

09-17-2010 07:12 AM
BrookeHodge
New Contributor III
Hi,

I am using ordinary kriging to interpolate species distribution based on sightings per unit effort summarized by 5' squares to points.  I have done this with many species and my outputs have looked great, but for some reason, the output for one dataset I have has shows dots all over it (where the point data i'm using to interpolate it is).  I have attached a visual for reference.  The input data does not differ from the other ones I've been using and I have used all the same methods and paramenters.  This includes neighborhood smoothing, so altering this parameter does not fix the problem.  Does anyone know why this is occuring or what I can do to fix it?  I have used the Kernel smoothing method instead, and the output looks better, but I want to keep all my methods the same as I have used for the other species, so if there is a way to fix it usint ordinary kriging, that would be best.

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor
On the semivariogram screen in the Wizard, what is your value for "Measurement Error"?
0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor
If you're willing to send your GA layer and the data used to create it, we'll take a look and try to figure out what's going on.
0 Kudos
BrookeHodge
New Contributor III
Hi again Eric, thanks for your response.

The measurement error option I have checked in the semivariogram window in the wizard is 100%.

I have sent a request asking if I can send you the data.  Assuming it won't be a problem, is there a secure way of doing that?  I don't feel comfortable sending it on a forum open to the public.

Thanks
0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor
You can send it to ekrause@esri.com
0 Kudos
BrookeHodge
New Contributor III
You may have already seen it, but I sent it to your email.
0 Kudos