Jump to solution
06-26-2014 07:35 AM
IanBroad2
New Contributor III
What's the difference between running the follow ESRI tools:

1) ESRI Rebuild Indexes
2) ESRI Analyze Datasets

vs

Setting up a maintenance plan in SQL Server to Rebuild Indexes and Update Statistics?

Are the results different? Is one preferred over the other? Is it safe run both?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Ahh.  Right.  Hadn't had my iced tea yet. Sorry.

There was a time where just letting the database do its own thing coaxed the
optimizer into foolishness, but I think that was pre-10.  Sometimes it's better
to run the analyze on the Adds table *before* reconcile/post (so it has good
stats before the table is emptied), so you might take that into your considerations.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VinceAngelo
The documents you posted describe the operations.  One rebuilds the indexes (which can
degrade in effectiveness over time), while the other updates the optimizer's metadata
(which can fall out of sync).  Neither should be necessary without significant changes
to the data tables, but neither is likely to harm performance (except during operation).

I don't quite understand your thread Title, since Esri is working with the database in each
of these situations.

- V
0 Kudos
IanBroad2
New Contributor III
The documents you posted describe the operations.  One rebuilds the indexes (which can
degrade in effectiveness over time), while the other updates the optimizer's metadata
(which can fall out of sync).  Neither should be necessary without significant changes
to the data tables, but neither is likely to harm performance (except during operation).

I don't quite understand your thread Title, since Esri is working with the database in each
of these situations.

- V

I didn't mean versus in a negative way. I meant versus in that I can run these two process in two different locations- either in SQL Server Management Studio or through ESRI.

I guess I just wanted to verify that these ESRI tools do indeed perform the exact same process as if I were to use the rebuild indexes/update statistics in SQL Server. And from your reply I'd say the answer is- yes.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Ahh.  Right.  Hadn't had my iced tea yet. Sorry.

There was a time where just letting the database do its own thing coaxed the
optimizer into foolishness, but I think that was pre-10.  Sometimes it's better
to run the analyze on the Adds table *before* reconcile/post (so it has good
stats before the table is emptied), so you might take that into your considerations.

- V
0 Kudos
JamesGustine
New Contributor III

Forgive me for replying to an old post, but I have the same question. I don't think it was answered above. We are discussing options for maintenance with out DBA. They rebuild indexes on everything weekly. It that sufficient? The only task we use GP tools for is a nightly compress. 

Anybody clear on which is better? 6 1/2 dozen? 

Thanks for any input. 

PeterBishop
New Contributor

Hello! Did you ever find clearer guidance on this? I have thee exact same question but haven't been able to find a clear answer. Thanks! (also sorry for replying to an old thread...)

0 Kudos