Select to view content in your preferred language

"Connection to callback URL <server> failed" restarting service - local account

06-17-2014 11:35 AM
DavidCarriere
New Contributor
Anyone have any ideas?

This may come down to the differences between running the "ArcGIS server" windows service as the SYSTEM account versus a local account. The "ArcGIS server" Windows service running on the Windows 2008 R2 server only seems to install/work when running under the "local system account". When we set it to a local account and restart the "ArcGIS server" windows service errors are logged when stopping and starting the map, geoprocessing, and geometry services (like the SampleWorldCities map service) with the Manager Web GUI (http://localhost:6080/arcgis/manager/).

The following error appears in the ARCGIS log:

"Connection to callback URL 'http://<servername>:6080/arcgis/services' failed. For more information, see the ArcGIS Server help topic ?Ports used by ArcGIS Server?. You can access this topic in the table of contents by navigating to Administering ArcGIS for Server > Securing your ArcGIS Server site > Configuring a secure environment for ArcGIS Server."

When the "ArcGIS server" Windows service is set back to run under the "local system account" and the service restarted the other ArcGIS application services can be stopped and started as expected. We were investigating the differences between a local account and the system account, some local policies like "Act as part of the Operating system" and " impersonate client after authentication" were granted to the local account but the same problem persists. We had previously ran the "Configure ArcGIS Server Account" utility which assigned log on as a service rights to our local account "arcgis" and manually verified the following permissions were in place.

Granting read permissions on folder c:\program files\arcgis\server\ for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder c:\program files\arcgis\server\framework\ for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder c:\program files\arcgis\server\geronimo\ for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder c:\program files\arcgis\server\usr\ for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder c:\program files\arcgis\server\bin\ for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder c:\program files\arcgis\server\XMLSchema\ for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder E:\arcgisserver\directories for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder E:\arcgisserver\config-store for arcgis
Granting full control permissions on folder E:\arcgisserver\logs for arcgis

There is no multi-byte characters in the servername

We are in Canada but the arcgis account has had its region set to US based on some postings in your forums.

I've looked at it with PROCMON and there are no negative event messages. When running under the SYSTEM account however, I can see events mentioning port 6080, when running under the local account, there are none, it is failing before that step. Since I run the GUI on that port, it loosk to be working before I get the error.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies