Preparing data for Oracle SDE

06-09-2014 07:47 AM
KristineMuma
New Contributor II
We are migrating our data to Oracle SDE.  At present we are going from SHP that has been exported from Geomedia (Oracle). I plan to stage it in a File Geodatabase.

I want to make sure I am preparing the data as best as possible before populating it into the SDE environment.
Are there any tips, strategies, workflows that I should follow to make sure the data is in the best shape possible?

I'd be grateful for any tips on things not to forget to do also.

I plan to do a topology clean up on all the data but since I am relatively new to this process. Any tips on things not to forget would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
It is important to keep in mind that data is not stored "in" ArcSDE -- it's the database that
stores data, and ArcSDE just gives ArcGIS access to data, in both unversioned and versioned
form.

File geodatabase is fine, but you should keep well clear of shapefile for data transfer from
Oracle to Oracle -- it will mangle your attribute column names (limiting them to 10 characters),
lose all timestamp column resolution below day, encode all NULL numeric values as zeros, clip
all VARCHAR strings at 254 length, and fail to transfer CLOB, NCLOB, and BLOB columns. 

ASCII is far more reliable than shapefile for transfer of database rows, and FGBD is easier
to use, and straight database export is easiest (though you will likely want to stage the simple
feature classes transferred by EXP/EXPDP/RMAN and copy from there into full geodatabase
form, especially if you want to migrate to SDE.ST_GEOMETRY).

- V
0 Kudos
KristineMuma
New Contributor II
That was helpful thanks. Poor wording on my part for "stored in".  Should have said Stored in Oracle with SDE.

I want to use Data Interoperability but I hesitate to activate the extension. If I can't get it all done before it expires we can't purchase it. So I'm trying to find the appropriate work around.

Good things to keep in mind.
0 Kudos