AnsweredAssumed Answered

Copy attribute values from one table to another, in a loop

Question asked by matt.walker@cartopac.com on Jun 5, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 by judsoncrouch
I am trying to copy the attribute values from one table to another, inside a loop.  I am looping through one table and inside that loop I want to copy the attribute values to another table.  I have copied attribute values over before, but using JoinField, but I do not want to use that in this code, as I am already looping through records.  I have seen different code attempting to do this, but so far nothing has worked for me.  The code I'm working with is:

import arcpy import os import string import subprocess  arcpy.env.workspace = r"c:\Users\matt\Desktop\Ditch\Database\Centerline.mdb" assetFeatureClass = "[Assets]" assetrows = arcpy.UpdateCursor(assetFeatureClass,"[Processed] <> 'Y'","","","")  # for each row in the result set for row in assetrows:         print row.getValue("Ditch_ID")          #create asset         #Insert code to call out ArcObjects utility...         centerline = "[Pipeline_Centerline]"                  #update asset record attributes from asset table         rows = arcpy.UpdateCursor(centerline)         for row in rows:                 row.Ditch_ID = assetFeatureClass.Ditch_ID                  rows.updateRow(row)

I get an error that states:

Runtime error  Traceback (most recent call last):   File "<string>", line 24, in <module> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'Ditch_ID'

and I assume what is causing this is the row.Ditch_ID = assetFeatureClass.Ditch_ID section.  What I am trying to do in this section is to copy to the current record in the Centerline table the 'Ditch_ID' attribute value from the outer loop's record in the Assets table.  Also, I have to do this for several attributes (both tables have the same schema) and need to either iterate over the code for each, or somehow copy several attributes at once.

Outcomes