cannot connect to SQL Express through Arcmap 10.1

Jump to solution
06-04-2014 12:20 AM
KalpanaLloyd
New Contributor
Hi all,

I am trying to connect to the SQLServerexpress(2014) using ArcMAp>Catalog>DatabaseServers>Adddatabase server. But, I get the error saying that "Cannot connect to the database server. Failed to connect to the database server". Can someone help me please! I have tried all sorts of things since y/day, but no luck. I don't know what I 'm doing wrong. While installing SQL Express, I have use default instance and it gave me the instance name as MSSQLSERVER, which is what I'm supplying to the ARCmap.

Thankyou in advance.

KL
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
SQL-Server 2014 isn't listed in the supported databases for ArcGIS 10.1 (which
is several years old now).  It is rare when even the most recent ArcGIS build is
retroactively supported on a database that did not exist when it was released. 
It is extremely unlikely that a product in Extended support status would be
supported on a database that is hours since release.  It seems you've run into
Vince's First Law of Compatibility.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
SQL-Server 2014 isn't listed in the supported databases for ArcGIS 10.1 (which
is several years old now).  It is rare when even the most recent ArcGIS build is
retroactively supported on a database that did not exist when it was released. 
It is extremely unlikely that a product in Extended support status would be
supported on a database that is hours since release.  It seems you've run into
Vince's First Law of Compatibility.

- V
0 Kudos
KalpanaLloyd
New Contributor
Hi V,

Thank you for your reply. I did think about that reason, but dismissed somehow. I did try with sQL Server 2012 first, even then it wasn't connecting. Then I went to the pain of uninstalling it and then installing 2014 just to get the same result. Also I could not even see Configuration manager in 2012, is that a norm or only I have some special problem?

Thanks
KL
0 Kudos
KalpanaLloyd
New Contributor
Thankyou all for your replies. I have sorted out my problem. Just for the information of other users: I had to install SQLServer2008 express edition again, this time I have enabled SQLServer to allow remote connections and accepted the default named database.

KL
0 Kudos