AnsweredAssumed Answered

Feature Class Check Python/Modelbuilder

Question asked by Bauger on May 23, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 by Bauger
Hi Folks,

I am trying to build a model that inputs one geodatabase into an other. The problem I am having is the schema for the geodatabases is the same however there may or may not always be a input file to send to the output database and this is causing errors. Right now my model searches for a featureclass then appends it to another. Right now if it does not find the correct class is outputs and error and stops my model. I found this bit of code, however it is searching for a field rather than a featureclass. Is there a piece of code where I can use a similar tool but for searching if a feature class exists inside a dataset.

Many Thanks,

Brett

#********************************************************************** # Description: # Tests if a field exists and outputs two booleans: #   Exists - true if the field exists, false if it doesn't exist #   Not_Exists - true if the field doesn't exist, false if it does exist #                (the logical NOT of the first output). # # Arguments: #  0 - Table name #  1 - Field name #  2 - Exists (boolean - see above) #  3 - Not_Exists (boolean - see above) # # Created by: ESRI #**********************************************************************  # Standard error handling - put everything in a try/except block # try:      # Import system modules     import sys, string, os, arcgisscripting      # Create the Geoprocessor object     gp = arcgisscripting.create()      # Get input arguments - table name, field name     #     in_Table = gp.GetParameterAsText(0)     in_Field = gp.GetParameterAsText(1)      # First check that the table exists     #     if not gp.Exists(in_Table):         raise Exception, "Input table does not exist"      # Use the ListFields function to return a list of fields that matches     #  the name of in_Field. This is a wildcard match. Since in_Field is an     #  exact string (no wildcards like "*"), only one field should be returned,     #  exactly matching the input field name.     #     fields = gp.ListFields(in_Table, in_Field)      # If ListFields returned anything, the Next operator will fetch the     #  field. We can use this as a Boolean condition.     #     field_found = fields.Next()      # Branch depending on whether field found or not. Issue a     #  message, and then set our two output variables accordingly     #     if field_found:         gp.AddMessage("Field %s found in %s" % (in_Field, in_Table))         gp.SetParameterAsText(2, "True")         gp.SetParameterAsText(3, "False")     else:         gp.AddMessage("Field %s not found in %s" % (in_Field, in_Table))         gp.SetParameterAsText(2, "False")         gp.SetParameterAsText(3, "True")   # Handle script errors # except Exception, errMsg:      # If we have messages of severity error (2), we assume a GP tool raised it,     #  so we'll output that.  Otherwise, we assume we raised the error and the     #  information is in errMsg.     #     if gp.GetMessages(2):            gp.AddError(GP.GetMessages(2))     else:         gp.AddError(str(errMsg))  

Outcomes