Is it possible to change connection string of map services from arcgis server manage

05-19-2014 10:40 PM
KirtikaChauhan
New Contributor II
Hi,

I have ArcMap installed on my machine and my Database is on a machine which is not accessible from my machine. So I cannot make a connection to that database in ArcMap and create MXD then publish services  from there. I have same database on different server which I can connect from my machine. So I am trying to puiblish service with that database and want to change the connection string to the database server which I cannot access from machine.

Is there any way to do this? Change connection string from arcgis manager only.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RaymondHuang
Occasional Contributor
Hi Kirtika,

I do not rule out the possibility of that through a tweak/hack, but I suppose the workflow for such a connection setup is common in a production and staging environment where you have two 'similar' setup of database. In such setup, you may need to use ArcMap on the ArcGIS for Server machine(aka app server) to author your map document to connect to the actual database you need to reach from and publish from there.

Let us know if such workflow is possible for you.

Cheers,
Raymond
0 Kudos
GISDev1
Occasional Contributor III
If you do this very often, arcpy's repair data connection function would be your best bet. You could just switch the database connection from the staging DB to the production DB before publishing the new service on production with a few lines of python. Otherwise, I would do what the above poster says and just repair the data source after opening the MXD in ArcMap on the production server. This could definitely be an issue if you don't have ArcGIS Desktop installed on your server though.
0 Kudos