Colli

Best Practices - Raster Catalog > Image Service

Discussion created by Colli on May 14, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 by rastrauch
Good afternoon gang!

I have been poking around all the ESRI resources, and didn't find exactly what I needed. We are looking at using the Image Server Extension to incorporate some topographic data sets as a basemap into our customized server site. Yes, I know there are already map services from ESRI and USGS etc that accomplish this. However, one of our requirements is that the SR of our basemap cannot be WGS 84,among other req's like owning our data etc. so there goes the cached service from ESRI

Currently, we have 5 Raster Catalogs each containing a specific geographic area of custom topo map images. Soon we will have 5 raster catalogs which contain imagery in this same geographic extent as the topos. These will both grow in data over the coming years 

Is it possible or recommended to store our data this way if we want to serve as a single  image service? I ask because I have not been able to figure out the best way to create a Referenced Mosaic using more than one Raster Catalog, hence why we only have a single image service for each Raster Catalog or ref mosaic. If our dataset will eventually grow to TB sizes, I would assume a single raster catalog would NOT be the way to go, but maybe I'm wrong?

What's the consensus out there? How should we attack this?

Outcomes