Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java and Virtualization

Jump to solution
04-09-2014 08:40 AM
MichalWysokinski
Deactivated User
Hi,

I've been interested in the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java for some time now and I finally gave it a go. What I've done so far is running the examples on different machines and going through the example code (which by the way looks great comparing to the ArcObjects for Java one).

Unfortunately I failed to run the examples on VMs (using vmware player and virtualbox with windows 7 and 8). I had the exact symptoms as this gentleman http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/96290-ArcGIS-Runtime-for-Java-10.2-examples-not-working. When I switched the rendering engine to OpenGL the application crashed every single time, meanwhile using DirectX it didn't not crash, however the layers have never been displayed.

Today I run the examples, out of curiosity, on a vmware vm at our university's cloud and was extremely surprised that everything worked fine.

Can anyone explain such behaviour? I presumed that the problem lays in rendering and that it's not possible to run Runtime SDK for Java without a direct access to rendering hardware, however after today I'm not so sure any more.

What's your experience with runtime compatibility with different hardware and vms?

My experience is following:
I've used ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java 10.2

VMs not working:
Newest versions of VirtualBox and VMware (with installed addins/tools), Windows 7 & 8 on both of them, newest Java 7 (51) both x86 and amd64.  DirectDraw acceleration is available on both vms according to dxdiag. The vms have been run on my laptop which itself supports the runtime sdk, because it's possible to run it native.

VMs working:
VMware cloud machine with Windows 7 and newest java.

Cheers,
Michal
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichalWysokinski
Deactivated User
OK, so I think I've figured out what caused the problem. If I use the 3d acceleration mechanism offered by VMs the rendering doesn't work, however if the acceleration is turned off it works flawlessly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichalWysokinski
Deactivated User
OK, so I think I've figured out what caused the problem. If I use the 3d acceleration mechanism offered by VMs the rendering doesn't work, however if the acceleration is turned off it works flawlessly.
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Glad you worked it out.

The key to it working on a Windows based VM is to make sure that you have DirectX 11 support.  I too have seen 3D acceleration support break the DX11 support and hence it stops working.

Mark
0 Kudos