Temporal Data with a cached map service

04-08-2014 10:17 AM
TonySmith3
New Contributor
Just wondering if this is possible:

Trying to setup a time aware map service.  In the mxd the time is enabled as instructed.  When I publish the service, I also make a map cached service.  Am I supposed to be able to use the time slider against this service?  Doesn't seem to work as expected.  When I create the same service w/o a cache it works as expected.  Thanks

T
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Keep in mind that cached services are not the same as dynamic services.  I believe the time slider behaves as expected when you use a dynamic (non-cached) map service.  In a cached service, you're not actually looking at the 'true features' but instead are looking at static images of those features.  Put differently, cached services generate tiled image files that do not (and cannot) change until you re-generate part or all of the cache.  Think of a cached service as a "snapshot" of the map at one point in time.  Cached services are great for data that does not change much (once per quarter or once per year, as an example).  But for data that changes more often, you would likely want a dynamic service so that the changes to your data (e.g., polygons, points, lines) can be seen when you refresh the service.  So, back to the question about time sliders with cached services... I don't believe the time slider will give you the effect you're looking for in a cached map service. Here is a related thread which references the time slider as it pertains to the Silverlight API.  When I read through Christopher Hill's post though, I feel like the time slider will only work with time aware layers... those which contain time aware attribution that supplied through a dynamic service.  I don't think time slider functionality is available for a tilemap layer.  I think this is why the time slider you did implement has not given you the behavior you wanted.
0 Kudos
TangoPapa
New Contributor
Keep in mind that cached services are not the same as dynamic services.  I believe the time slider behaves as expected when you use a dynamic (non-cached) map service.  In a cached service, you're not actually looking at the 'true features' but instead are looking at static images of those features.  Put differently, cached services generate tiled image files that do not (and cannot) change until you re-generate part or all of the cache.  Think of a cached service as a "snapshot" of the map at one point in time.  Cached services are great for data that does not change much (once per quarter or once per year, as an example).  But for data that changes more often, you would likely want a dynamic service so that the changes to your data (e.g., polygons, points, lines) can be seen when you refresh the service.  So, back to the question about time sliders with cached services... I don't believe the time slider will give you the effect you're looking for in a cached map service. Here is a related thread which references the time slider as it pertains to the Silverlight API.  When I read through Christopher Hill's post though, I feel like the time slider will only work with time aware layers... those which contain time aware attribution that supplied through a dynamic service.  I don't think time slider functionality is available for a tilemap layer.  I think this is why the time slider you did implement has not given you the behavior you wanted.

Thanks Will,

I wasn't expecting it to work as described, and was surprised that during publishing and analysing phase, a more explicit warning doesn't come up.  Wanted to verify that I'm seeing the intended behaviour.  Thanks!
0 Kudos