File/Personal Database with ArcPad and GPS Analyst

03-28-2014 10:21 AM
EllenDorsey
New Contributor
Hi...We have a project that started pretty quickly and the field teams have been out in the field for three weeks collecting data using a Yuma with GPSCorrect and AXF files checked-out from a File Geodatabse. While doing so we were in the process of acquiring a GPS Analyst license. However, when we started setting it up, we realized that we should have checked out using a Personal Geodatabase. I fear we have weeks of GPS data we can't differentially correct. I tried migrating all the feature classes into the Personal Geodatabase and using the GPS Analyst tool > Import SSF file in ArcToolbox, but it doesn't seem to link to any of the data. Is there a way to rectify this? Another factor is that the machine with GPS Analyst on it doesn't have ArcPad Data Manager, is that why the Check in ArPad AXF file and GPS Correct SSF button is not visible?

Thanks in advance!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ericbock
New Contributor III
You definately need  ArcPad Data Manager installed on the PC that you are using to check data in/out of Geodatabase for ArcPad.  you can download ArcPad and run the installation to get that tool installed.  Then you will need to activate the extension inside of ArcGIS.  As far as GPS Analyst, you will want to make sure that version is supported on your version of ArcGIS.  I recommend that you check Trimble Mapping and GIS compatibilty chart.

As far as the data, that may take a little more work.  It may be possible to try to migrate that data over, but it would probably require a "Fake checkout"...you can probably search this term for more information.

My recommended workflow would be to use Trimble's Pathfinder Office (PFO) to differential correct the GPScorrect.ssf file and then use the ShapeCorrect tool to adjust the data in the AXF file.  Then you can check the data back into your file geodatabase.  You can download from here ftp://ftp.trimble.com/pub/from_support/MGIS_Downloads/Trimble_GPS_Pathfinder_Office_v560.zip.  Then you can reach out to your Trimble dealer for a 14-day demo code to get you buy while you fix your database or upgrade your software.  Trimble released a new software called Positions that has taken the place of GPScorrect and GPS Analyst and it will work on File Geodatabase.

Hope this helps, ericb
0 Kudos