Passing a point and returning an image with the point

03-19-2014 12:52 PM
JaysonLindahl
Occasional Contributor
I would like to be able to pass in a point value (lat,long) to my map service and receive an image with the point in return.  Something sort of like the map image export where you pass in a bounding box and receive an image the size of the bounding box.  I want to do something similiar, but have the point value that I pass to be in the image as well. 
I'm trying to think of the workflow and then the process on how to do it.  Can I pass in a point value, then somehow have the point added to the map service and then generate a standard size image with the point in the center?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
How do you want to pass the point in?  In what application will this be used?  If you have the coordinates of your point, you can generate a bbox of xmin, ymin, xmax, ymax using those values, (subtracting by a certain value to get the mins, and adding to get the maxs), and you can populate the bbox parameter of the export web map request with these new bbox values.
0 Kudos
JaysonLindahl
Occasional Contributor
I would like to be able to pass in the lat/long values into a REST service.  Currently we do calculate a bbox from the coordinate, but only returns the image.  There is no point represented in the image.  It is only assumed that the point would be located somewhere within the middle of the image.
0 Kudos