ArcGis Server  # of core

03-09-2014 08:36 AM
BradPapa
New Contributor
Hello,
I want to know if I can install ArcGis server on a 1 core Windows server.
Thanks!
BP
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
You can, but you might be unhappy with performance and stability of your various GIS services.  Typically, a good rule of thumb to follow is that a single core will support 4 concurrent SOC instances, which often implies a very small handful of very basic, simple services or one semi-complex service altogether.  If you plan on having multiple services to be requested multiple times in a row by multiple users, then one core won't work.  You'll see poor performance, and you'll likely experience timeouts and errors.  Even for development purposes, I would recommend having at least 2 or 4 cores.  A single-core machine probably won't cut it.  There are plenty of good white papers out there for system architecture planning with respect to ArcGIS Server (at 9.x and 10.x), so I would recommend that you do some research.  Another good resource is the Capacity Planning Tool (CPT) developed by Dave Peters at Esri.  The only benefit that I can see to having a single-core machine is that your Esri licensing costs will be minimal.  ArcGIS Server is licensed on a per-core basis.  That being said, you get what you pay for.
0 Kudos