Editor Tracking in database time zone

Jump to solution
03-05-2014 01:25 PM
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
I'm trying to publish a few dozen feature classes and I get the following error.

"Data frame has layers that record Editor Tracking dates in database time zone"

It wants me to turn off editor tracking or use UTM.  My server site is only for viewing, people are not creating data on the site, so the editor tracking columns are just leftovers from my working copy of the geodatabase. 
Why can't I ignore this error or mark it as an exception?

The thing is, I was able to turn on editor tracking for all layers doing a single process for the whole geodatabase.  But to "Disable Editor Tracking" when I copy my geodatabase from its editing-copy location to its user-consumption location I have to make a seperate process to disable it for each individual feature.  I'd rather not make this huge model to do this.  Am I missing something?  Is their an easier way?
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
This is expected behavior.  To resolve this warning, the data in your MXD with editor tracking needs to use UTC dates.  You must either (1) remove the layers or stand-alone tables in the map that record dates in the database's time zone, or (2) disable Editor Tracking for these datasets.  If you need to publish Editor Tracking datasets within a map service while Editor Tracking is still enabled, then you need to turn off the field visibility for the editor tracking date fields for the layer or table in ArcMap. 

Source: "Solution" section of http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00sq000000qm000000

I don't think there's another way to do what you're doing, put differently.  You will need to work through the editor tracking issue rather than around it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
This is expected behavior.  To resolve this warning, the data in your MXD with editor tracking needs to use UTC dates.  You must either (1) remove the layers or stand-alone tables in the map that record dates in the database's time zone, or (2) disable Editor Tracking for these datasets.  If you need to publish Editor Tracking datasets within a map service while Editor Tracking is still enabled, then you need to turn off the field visibility for the editor tracking date fields for the layer or table in ArcMap. 

Source: "Solution" section of http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00sq000000qm000000

I don't think there's another way to do what you're doing, put differently.  You will need to work through the editor tracking issue rather than around it.
TomMagdaleno
Thanks for the reply William.  I guess I will freeze the columns in my MXD.  UTC time means nothing to me since the data never leaves our timezone.
0 Kudos
DamonPettitt
Occasional Contributor
I too have a layer that uses database time in Editor Tracking and I don't want to switch to UTC time or disable Editor Tracking.  When I set the date fields involved in Editor Tracking to be invisible in ArcMap, it still won't let me publish to a map service.  I'm using ArcGIS 10.1.  What am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
What error are you getting?  Mine worked after I turned off all the new columns from editor tracking.
0 Kudos
DamonPettitt
Occasional Contributor
I get the same error that you reported initially.  That's strange I still get an error and you don't.  I have a workaround where I'm copying out the feature class that has editor tracking to a new feature class, so I'm fine for now.
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III
There is a way around this.  Publish the service. Then stop it and enable editor tracking in database time. Start the service.
TimDine
Occasional Contributor II

I've run into this error with 10.5 as well.

I had a series of layers with joins created before encountering the error.  When I unchecked the editor tracking fields the error didn't go away.  It wasn't until I removed the joins and joined tables, verified the fields were unchecked, added the join tables, redid the join, and analyzed that the error was gone.

Something seemed to be holding on when I removed the field visibility while the join still existed.

0 Kudos
JulieEckman1
New Contributor III

Yes, this time zone feature when pushing ArcPro data to AGOL or Portal is very frustrating.  I have two relation tables for my feature class table and all have editor tracking so I can tell when something has been changed in the tables.  I tried to define the times as Pacific (a while back - not sure if I defined the time while in ArcMap or Pro) and I thought the transfer process would take those Pacific time zones and convert to UTC.  I too, don't need to worry about different time zones since we're all in the same zone.  I created a work around by copying my tables and then removing the four editing tracker fields.

0 Kudos