Select to view content in your preferred language

TableToTable and Excel 000732 Error

02-14-2014 03:02 AM
JohnLay
Frequent Contributor
Having a weird problem running a TableToTable conversion using a python script. The script has worked without issue for months. This morning I continue to get a 000732 : <value>: Dataset <value> does not exist or is not supported error. I have tried recreating the excel spread sheet, moving it to a different location, rewriting the script, exporting the code from model builder, etc. If I try to run the process from ToolBox I get the same error.

The weird thing is if I run the same process on the same xlsx in model builder, I have no problem.

Suggestions?

OUTFILE = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)
NCFMPFolder = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)
DATE = str(datetime.date.today())
Sheet1 = os.path.join(NCFMPFolder,"DeliveryTracking.xlsx\Sheet1$")
DeliveryTrackinggdb = os.path.join(NCFMPFolder,"DeliveryTracking.gdb")

# Process: Table to Table
arcpy.TableToTable_conversion(Sheet1, DeliveryTrackinggdb, "Tracking", "", "DO \"DO\" true true false 8 Double 6 15 ,First,#,Sheet1,DO,-1,-1;TASK \"TASK\" true true false 255 Text 0 0 ,First,#,Sheet1,TASK,-1,-1;SUB_TASK \"SUB_TASK\" true true false 255 Text 0 0 ,First,#,Sheet1,SUB_TASK,-1,-1;CONT \"CONT\" true true false 255 Text 0 0 ,First,#,Sheet1,CONT,-1,-1;COUNTY \"COUNTY\" true true false 255 Text 0 0 ,First,#,Sheet1,COUNTY,-1,-1;APPRVD \"APPRVD\" true true false 8 Date 0 0 ,First,#,Sheet1,APPRVD,-1,-1;STATUS \"STATUS\" true true false 255 Text 0 0 ,First,#,Sheet1,STATUS,-1,-1", "")
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Are you sure nothing changed on your system (e.g. perhaps Automatic Windows Updates which can sometimes cause unexpected problems)?

Can your IT Dept. make changes without informing endusers?

Can you test your script on another computer?
0 Kudos
JohnLay
Frequent Contributor
You're right. It must be something different with my system. The script works fine everywhere else. Checking with IT now.
0 Kudos
JohnLay
Frequent Contributor
I've stumped IT.

Most of the folks here in the office still live in the spreadsheet world which means that the table I'm trying to access is updated frequently--yet they still want maps created from the spreadsheets.

Is there a better way to handle an .xls table than TableToTable conversion? I've tried to create an ODC connection to an Access database that is linked to the table, but because the tables are linked, instead of imported into the .accdb, they don't show up.
0 Kudos
JohnLay
Frequent Contributor
OK, looking at the support page for Error:  000732: Dataset does not exist or is not supported it suggests to turn off background processing. That worked.

Any clue to why that would be?

My previous question is still valid, however. Is there a better way to handle xlsx spreadsheets?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
OK, looking at the support page for Error:  000732: Dataset does not exist or is not supported it suggests to turn off background processing. That worked.

Any clue to why that would be?

My previous question is still valid, however. Is there a better way to handle xlsx spreadsheets?

If you are using ArcGIS 10.1 and above with background processing, data types such as excel spreadsheets, personal geodatabases and coverages are not supported in background processing.  More details can be found [url=http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//002100000040000000]here[/url].
0 Kudos