Programmatically Add a folder to the Add-In folder locations

07-13-2010 10:03 AM
AlainProulx
New Contributor III
Hey Guys,

Anybody know how to add a folder to the "Add-In" folder locations found in the Customize-> Add-In Manager->Options tab using .Net/ArcObjects?  Even if I knew where this info is stored like in the registry or in a preferences file?  I looked everywhere in the registry and folders and can't find it anywhere.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Al
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PedroAbreu
New Contributor II
Hi  Alain,

I'm having a similiar problem... Did you find how to do it?
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
If an administer you can use registry settings to specify additional folders. See the very bottom of http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/Advanced_add_in_concept....

However, I'd love to see a bit more about what you are trying to do. Why do you need to add the folder list programmatically? And when are you doing so? Add-ins are processed at the application startup, so it might be too late to load your add-ins.
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
RobChasan
New Contributor III
Kylie,

Let me give you an example of how programmatically via ArcObjects changing the addins location could be useful.

Suppose you are in an environment where you need to have access to certain "well known" locations, but in fact you don't know all or any of which are available to you.  This might be because you are not necessarily a "gis" person, rather you use ArcMap as a business tool and all the functionality you need has been programmed in for you.  Now, also suppose that the admins have, for example, set up a table structure that consists of the users, their workgroups and the directories each is allowed to access.

So, the first time you get into ArcMap you push a button and it sets up your add-in directories for you.  Or maybe every time you go into ArcMap, it checks your directories against the table and effects any changes that my have happened.  (This could also be because you may be accessing ArcMap from different machines and the settings necessarily have to be re-established.)

And I can tell you that messing with the registry is something we prefer not to do.  In some environments, it is forbidden.

This is only one example and for sure other users could probably come up with better ones. 
In our place, we try to insulate the users from having to know where anything is.  Most of them have no clue as to how the various directories and connections are configured and they don't want to (or need to) know -- their business specialties are elsewhere.  If they did have to do all the configuring by themselves, then they would be less likely to use the software.  This way, with a single program and a single point of administration, the organization benefits from automated efficiencies.

I hope this answers your question.

Rob
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks Rob! I will pass along that info.
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
SJChen
by
New Contributor
When will this "Add" function be available? 

Moreover, how to retrieve all available add-in paths in the "Add-In folder"?
0 Kudos
SJChen
by
New Contributor
Got the reply from ESRI Technical support, both functions are not supported yet as today.
0 Kudos
XiaolingYang
Esri Contributor
At Desktop 10.0, it is not possible to programmatically retrieve all available add-in folders.
However, the add-in folders list is saved at C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\ESRI\ArcGISSettings.xml. You can parse the xml file if needed.

Hope this helps.

-Xiaoling
0 Kudos