Select to view content in your preferred language

Issues with updating and saving

01-29-2014 02:48 PM
MarkGarvey
Deactivated User
Hi,
I am a very frustrated Story Map Builder.
I haven't been able to get any to completion.

Issues:
When I import a .csv into the builder phase of the standard storymap template the Builder indicates that 'points have been successfully imported and then locks up with the message "importing" which required me to crash out of ArcGIS.com

When I am working on one of the partially built storymaps I get the message "Changes not saved, Try Again" .. when I try again it Storymap Builder tells me that there are no more changes to be made however the changes are not being saved.

I have tried to serve images from Flickr, Facebook and my own site .. to date with only partial success.
Have tried IE and Chrome.

I am very frustrated .. I have been at this for over 3 weeks.

I know the symptoms may sound obscure but is it that I am doing something fundamentally wrong?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User
Hi,

Sorry for inconvenience. I'm sure I can help you find the source of your issues.

What is the behavior when you use the sample CSV that we provide (create a new webmap, create a new map tour, choose advanced options (the gear icon), download the csv and import it. Is the builder stable then? If not it must be something about your computer. What browser and Operating System are you using?

If it works, it must be about your data that make Map Tour builder not happy. Please send me the CSV or the reference to your Flickr account/album and I will take a look.
0 Kudos
MarkGarvey
Deactivated User
Hi Gregory,
Thanks for the note.

"What is the behavior when you use the sample CSV that we provide (create a new webmap, create a new map tour, choose advanced options (the gear icon), download the csv and import it. Is the builder stable then? If not it must be something about your computer. What browser and Operating System are you using?"

I have attached a zip file with a screen capture from the tour and a couple of .csv's that I have built.

Currently .csv import get's to a certain stage (after importing using the gear tool) give a message that says "successfully imported x points" and then goes into a permanent loop from which it doesn't escape.

I have tried 2 Operating SYstems .. XP and Win 7 .. Laptop and PC.

I have tried photo's in FLickr, FAcebook and my own site but can't nail it.

The screen capture will be of interest .. you can see that one Storymap VErsion is almost complete but I can't save any edits.

Thanks  in anticipation,
REgards, Mark Garvey, Melbourne.
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User
Hi,

Your CSVs looks really fine. I haven't been able to reproduce any failure.

I found your webmap and it probably come from the GPS tracks that are included. The tracks resolution seems fine to me but it make the webmap a little heavy, so depending on your network you may run into a timeout.
Does it fail to save instantly or after 20 seconds?

If it fails after something like 20 seconds, it's clearly a timeout. Your only solution is to get better network, remove some unused data from your webmap (some layer are not visible) or lower the resolution of your tracks with ArcGIS Desktop or a free tool like GPXEditor.
0 Kudos
KevinHighland
Frequent Contributor
Hi Mark,

I've been noticing the same behavior with saving edits to the story map. We had a user who was trying to save and it would give him that same message (changes not saved, try again). What seemed to fix our issue was making the person who was editing it an administrator. He was previously had only publisher permissions, but since granting his AGOL account admin rights we haven't had a single problem with this.

I hope this helps.
Kevin
0 Kudos