Select to view content in your preferred language

Using a custom locator in AGOL

Jump to solution
01-27-2014 08:53 AM
MarcWeinshenker1
Regular Contributor
I have configured the use of a custom locator in our AGOL organizational account under Utility Services.  I see where users can select the default locator or an alternate locator by the dropdown in the locator entry of a map.  BUT, this seems to be only available to organizational users logged into our account and is NOT available for use of the web maps outside of the account.  I was expecting the locator to be used by the map no matter where it was or who accessed it.  Is this the intended behavior?  Will it change?

Thanks,
Marc
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Marc,

It looks like 2 things are going on.

1. Your custom locator only works when hitting your organization maps. It's is a configuration of the website, not of the web map. So if you share a map to me and I open, in order to use your locator I need to be able to access rockvillemd.maps.arcgis.com. If anonymous access is disabled, I will be prompted to log in.

2. The Map Gallery template is not referring to the organizations locator services. If you embeded the basic viewer in a web page and allowed anonymous access to your organization, you will see the custom locator's in use.

I will see what we can do to update the Map Gallery to support the organization's locators in the future.

Thanks,
Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Marc,

If you add a custom locator, public users can use it if they open the map by visiting your URL.
E.g. andrew.maps.arcgis.com

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Regular Contributor
Andrew,

Thanks, but I think there is still a hitch.  My AGOL organizational account is not open to anonymous access, but it looks like yours is.  So, while I see the locator options in your map, they don't appear in mine even though they are publicly shared.  For example, this link which is a gallery map:  http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery/map.html?webmap=24dbf8f910eb417fb1f649af128cae1c  and this link, which is the ArcGIS.com viewer version of the same map:  http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=24dbf8f910eb417fb1f649af128cae1c   The only locator available seems to be the Esri locator.

Thanks,
Marc
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Marc,

It looks like 2 things are going on.

1. Your custom locator only works when hitting your organization maps. It's is a configuration of the website, not of the web map. So if you share a map to me and I open, in order to use your locator I need to be able to access rockvillemd.maps.arcgis.com. If anonymous access is disabled, I will be prompted to log in.

2. The Map Gallery template is not referring to the organizations locator services. If you embeded the basic viewer in a web page and allowed anonymous access to your organization, you will see the custom locator's in use.

I will see what we can do to update the Map Gallery to support the organization's locators in the future.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Regular Contributor
Andrew,

Thanks.  If #2 is possible, then I think #1 should also be possible or at least desirable with anonymous access disabled.  That is, no matter how someone accesses one of my maps, if I've configured custom locators they should be available to all viewers no matter how they access a map.  That would be preferred behavior to me.

Marc
0 Kudos