No Hover tool-tip in Map Viewer?

01-27-2014 05:35 AM
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Hi All,

Am I missing something or does ArcGIS.com Map Viewer not support tool tips when you hover the mouse over a feature? For example, with ArcGIS Explorer Online you would hover over a feature point, and you would get a tool-tip, not a pop-up, to appear without
clicking. This tool tip would show the record of whatever field you configured as the pop-ups title.

This is not supported as just a part of map viewer without having to create an application?

Thanks,
Jim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Jim,

Correct, there is no tool tip in the Map Viewer.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Andrew,
Thanks for response,
Obviously the follow up question is - is there a way to create one without  actually having to do an app? I just presented an AGOL site to a NYC agency and one of the universal comments I received from reviewers was, "can't you hover over these points and get the office location name?" And all I could tell them is you used to be able to with Explorer but they're phasing that Explorer out? Together with the fact that you can't easily label features -  and I'm forced to write a big text in the title telling our not very tech savvy audience for this site to click on features in map for info. Please put tool-tips into map viewer if you're phasing out Explorer. Hovering over features is reflexively the first intuitive response users do.

Jim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Jim,

We're working to add the ability to label features in the Map Viewer. It would not provide the hover over experience, but would display a text label related to the feature.

If you needed to have the hover over ability, this is something you would have to add in a custom application. Unfortunately this is not planned to be added to the map viewer, but would be great to post to the ArcGIS Ideas site.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos