Points disappeared in StoryMap when Basemap Changed

01-23-2014 12:37 PM
DavidDickson
New Contributor
I created a storymap application using the Map Tour template.  It worked fabulously, but we wanted to try to switch to our own, more current imagery (by changing it in the webmap file). When we did we lost our ability to set zoom levels for the points and the points themselves disappeared.

I switched the basemap back to the esri "imagery with labels" basemap, but the points are still missing and the map is not zooming to the point when we flip through the images. It is almost as if the basemap is being placed on top of the points or something. Which I realize should not be the case.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Sorry for the inconvenience, that's an issue that will be fixed in an upcoming release of Map Tour.

Looks like your basemap was in a different projection than web mercator.
When you switched to your basemap in ArcGIS.com viewer, your points got reprojected, but when you got back to Imagery basemap with the Map Tour builder, your points didn't get reprojected to web mercartor.
Your data are still there and looks valid, just that they can't be displayed because they are not in the expected projection.

To fix that, with ArcGIS.com viewer if switch the basemap to yours then save the webmap and then switch back to Imagery basemap, your Map Tour points should be reprojected to web mercator and your story usable again.
0 Kudos
DavidDickson
New Contributor
Thanks glazou2.  That did help a bit. The point have reappeared, but now the basemap is all pixelated or doesn't show up. It looks fine when it launches, but then as you flip through the images, it zooms and the basemap looks nasty. Wondering if the reprojection is somehow messed up.

At this point, I may just recreate the whole thing.
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Looks like your points have been incorrectly re-projected.
If you unzoom, you will see that they are in Nigeria. The basemap simply appear blurry because that region doesn't have the same resolution than the US. You should be able to re-position the points quickly with the builder or ArcGIS.com viewer.
After that you should be good, good luck.
0 Kudos
DavidDickson
New Contributor
That did it! Thanks.
0 Kudos