AnsweredAssumed Answered

General questions about Python scripting in ArcGIS and Python add-in development

Question asked by zhengdx04 on Dec 19, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 22, 2013 by zhengdx04
Howdy,

I am a totally newbie to everything in ArcGIS related to Python, although I am familiar with Python on its own. I tried to search through the ArcGIS documentation for answers to the following basic questions but got overwhelmed and lost in the massive information. So if someone can give me direct answers or point me to specific references (not general please), I will very appreciate it.

Questions:

1. Does ArcMap 10.2 come with Python? i.e., if I don't install Python manually, will Python scripting work in ArcGIS?

2. If the answer to the above question is yes, then ArcMap must have installed a copy of Python somewhere to be invoked. Where is this copy of Python used by ArcMap? Can I change it so ArcMap invoke another copy of Python that I installed manually?

3. Similar to the first question, will a Python Add-in work if Python is not installed manually?

4. What could possibly be the reason if ArcMap shows a command as missing in a toolbar from a Python Add-in?

P.S., please consider all the above questions on a Windows 7 64-bit system.

Outcomes