Spatial Join Not Appending Data

12-16-2013 04:11 PM
LindseyWinn1
New Contributor
Hi - I'm running a spatial join for polygons (census tract) to points. I need TractID's for each point, but 400+ points are so close to
the border that it doesn't give me any data (I assume it doesn't know which one to pick?). Is there another way of getting those
TractID's without having to zoom in to each point and see which tract it falls into? Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewCarter
New Contributor
Hi - I'm running a spatial join for polygons (census tract) to points. I need TractID's for each point, but 400+ points are so close to
the border that it doesn't give me any data (I assume it doesn't know which one to pick?). Is there another way of getting those
TractID's without having to zoom in to each point and see which tract it falls into? Thanks in advance!

Are you getting Tract IDs for any point after running the join?  Just by the nature of vector files closeness to the border shouldn't be an issue in spatial join unless it is mathematically on the border, so I would guess there is some other issue.  Do any points lie outside all of the tract polygons?
0 Kudos
LindseyWinn1
New Contributor
Yes, I have a total of 90,000+ records and only 450 of them do not give me the data. All of them are super close to the border. I ended up joining points to polygons and that solved the problem, but I'm still curious as to why it wouldn't join data for those specific records.
0 Kudos