ArcGIS Online - Auto Populate Fields from separate layer?

12-11-2013 06:14 PM
AndrewHaley
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am setting up some maps for use in ArcGIS online (specifically people out in the field collecting data with the collector app).

I wanted to make it so if they place a point, fields get automatically populated with property information of the parcel of land the point falls inside (e.g. Address, Owners, etc), rather than having to input this information manually.

I would be able to do this after the point has been collected using arcmap, or python scripts, but I wanted to know if it could be populated while they are still in the field, so they can view the information..

does anyone know if this is possible?

Thankyou.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Andrew,

If you set up Feature Templates in ArcMap prior publishing you can set the defaults. You can also setup Subtypes and Domains to accomplish the same thing.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
DavinShokes1
Occasional Contributor II
I believe the OP is asking if his users create a point near/within a feature from another service, can attributes be automatically populated in related fields. Short answer is no. Feature templates won't work since there could be potentially hundreds of thousands of tax parcels. Publishing a Geoprocessing service to do this requires ArcGIS server. So does GeoEvent processor. You also can't set spatial SQL queries as default values for fields of hosted feature services.

If you are working without Arcgis Server, but have excess credits to consume you could publish every parcel in town as a point feature services with the fields required for data entry. You could set symbology so points change when users change attributes. A Map service and definition queries would help with performance.

Good luck,
Davin
0 Kudos
AndrewHaley
New Contributor II
Thanks for the replys!

That idea of publishing a geoprocessing service seems like a good one. I have set up a model using a "Feature set", which selects the parcel the point falls in and pulls attributes off it... it works very well on my desktop (v. 10.1).

Whenever I try to publish it to arcgis server (our server is v 10.0 for some reason, i had to ammend the model a little, but got it working), I keep getting an error code 00005 "layer type not supported". I have followed the ArcGIS 10.0 documentation for adding the model to the map and publishing as normal...

But I think if I can figure that bit out, it should work fine
0 Kudos
JessicaThompson
New Contributor III

Is it based on a SQL Server sde?

0 Kudos