Web Adaptor Application Error

12-11-2013 07:03 AM
JoeTosoni
New Contributor
Hi -

I've successfully installed arcgis for server 10.2 on a windows server 2012 r2 VM. I also created my arcgis site successfully while taking all the defaults and have not touched a thing within the manager.

Next, I installed/enabled IIS on a separate VM Windows Server 2012 r2 and installed the web adaptor. It installed fine also and then the web page came up - I entered the GIS Server URL and my PSA credentials and the following error is returned:

Application Error
Failed to get administrator token from the GIS server. Please verify that the GIS Server URL specified can be accessed successfully.

I'm puzzled as to why this could be  happening - I believe .net framework 3.5.1 is installed on the server. Another issue I see is that I cannot access my ArcGIS Server manager URL or any other related outside of the VM I installed server on. I am sure this should not be happening. There are no firewalls between these servers, everything is on the same network and I can ping each.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
When you configure web adaptor, make sure you use the same user name and password you use to log into ArcGIS Server Manager.
0 Kudos
JoeTosoni
New Contributor
Yep, I have been using the PSA credentials to configure the web adaptor, the same credentials that I use to successfully log in to the manager on the arcgis server VM. However, I can't hit the server URLs (manager, services, etc.) using http://XXX(my server):6080/arcgis on any machine outside of the arcgis server.
0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor
Hello,
You mentioned that you cannot get to Server Manager from your web server, or any other machine besides the server that ArcGIS for Server is installed on. It sounds like port 6080 is being blocked by a firewall, or an anti virus, or something to that affect. I suppose it could be a name resolution error as well, but I would start with troubleshooting the connection to the server. If you fix that, I think web adaptor will connect fine.

Ping doesn't tell you much.

Try Telnet:

telnet <arcgisserver> 6080

telnet is the command

<arcgisserver> is the hostname of the server

6080 is the port

You should get a blinking cursor if it connects.
If you do not, then there is a firewall.

Good luck!!

Justin

Hi -

I've successfully installed arcgis for server 10.2 on a windows server 2012 r2 VM. I also created my arcgis site successfully while taking all the defaults and have not touched a thing within the manager.

Next, I installed/enabled IIS on a separate VM Windows Server 2012 r2 and installed the web adaptor. It installed fine also and then the web page came up - I entered the GIS Server URL and my PSA credentials and the following error is returned:

Application Error
Failed to get administrator token from the GIS server. Please verify that the GIS Server URL specified can be accessed successfully.

I'm puzzled as to why this could be  happening - I believe .net framework 3.5.1 is installed on the server. Another issue I see is that I cannot access my ArcGIS Server manager URL or any other related outside of the VM I installed server on. I am sure this should not be happening. There are no firewalls between these servers, everything is on the same network and I can ping each.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
JoeTosoni
New Contributor
Hey Justin - bingo, I have successfully configured the web adaptor. Using telnet, I discovered that port 6080 was of course not open in the Windows firewall on the arcgis server. So, we simply added 6080 to the inbound and outbound rules and it all worked fine. No more spinning my wheels, thanks a bunch Justin!

-Joe
0 Kudos
JenniferMcFarland
New Contributor III

So I add those rules on the arcgis server machine not the web adaptor machine?  I am having this issue today and originally thought it was our main fire wall and then realized that both servers are on the same subnet so it must be the windows firewall.  This is my first install on server 2012. 

Thanks,

Jenn

0 Kudos