RasterToNumpyArray not 64 bit even in background?

12-06-2013 10:24 AM
DouglasSands
Occasional Contributor II
In order to process some very large (16 billion cell) raster datasets, I'm attempting to use numpy to speed things up a bit. When I use raster to numpy array, I get either following message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\i52974\ESRI_to_AIRGrid\py\ESRIGridToCSVv2_3.py", line 167, in <module>
    windowedData = raster.getNext()
  File "C:\Users\i52974\ESRI_to_AIRGrid\py\ESRIGridToCSVv2_3.py", line 110, in getNext
    return arcpy.RasterToNumPyArray(self.source, ll, ccount, self.yrows)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 1688, in RasterToNumPyArray
    return _RasterToNumPyArray(*args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: ERROR 999998: Unexpected Error.

or a message telling me that 'python.exe has stopped working' depending on whether I run from within a script (error message) or the interactive window (python crash).

I know that the first suggestion here is going to be that I'm out of memory. However I do not think that this is the case. I'm running this with on a 64 bit machine with the 64 bit background processing turned on. The information I have found doesn't seem to suggest that this would be an unsupported tool. The environment I'm running in has 75 GB of memory available, and when I print sys.version from within the script I can see that 64 bit python running. Everything is specifically set up to test whether or not this is a viable option to speed up a task that is currently 8 + hours.

From testing, I know that the output type is numpy.int32 (determined by extracting just a few thousand rows and testing the type). In IDLE I can create arrays up to 135,000 x 135,000 using int32 (roughly 18 billion cells) before I get a MemoryError from numpy. That is, I can execute:

x = numpy.ones((135000, 135000), numpy.int32)

without any errors. I can't do anything particularly intense with it (uses up 96% of my available RAM), but I can put the data in memory without issue. The thing that is particularly curious is that even if I extract only a subset of the source dataset, I encounter the same error once I try and extract things in that are above 20,000 x 20,000 in size when I can see in the resource monitor that the resulting datasets before failure are taking up less than 5% of the available memory. This adds to my suspicion that RasterToNumPyArray() isn't running at 64 bit, partially because 5% of my memory would be the 4GB limit for memory in 32 bit Windows.

Does anyone have ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies