Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS.com: Can't time-enabled feature service

Jump to solution
12-05-2013 01:46 PM
KatieGaut1
Regular Contributor
Hello,
    I'm trying to create a web application that uses a time-enabled layer.  I've uploaded the shapefile, published as a feature service hosted on ArcGIS.com (through a developer account).  In Desktop ArcGIS 10.2, I have no problem enabling time on a field that represents "sample year".  In ArcGIS.com though, I follow the below instructions (from ArcGIS.com help page), and there is no "Time Settings" option when I click the arrow icon next to the layer.  In fact, the "Layer" displays my file name, not separate layers as I was expecting to see.  Any thoughts or insights would be so very appreciated!  Thank you!  Katie

Publish a hosted feature service on ArcGIS Online. For more information, see Hosted feature services.
Click the name of your feature service to view its item details.
In the Layers section of the page, click the small arrow icon next to the layer where you want to enable time and click Time Settings.
Check the box next to Enable time
Choose to record the time data as specific events in time or time ranges with a start and end time.
Choose the time field or fields in your data.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Katie,

You'll have to republish the service. If you used a shapefile or Geodatabase feature class you can add a new Date field and calculate it, then publish again.

Hope that helps,
Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimothieBiggs
Deactivated User
Is it a group layer?
0 Kudos
KatieGaut1
Regular Contributor
Hi timothieb,
    No, it's not a group layer.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Katie
0 Kudos
KatieGaut1
Regular Contributor
Anyone have any thoughts??  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Katie,

Are the dates stored in a date field or in a text/string field?
Can you share your service with me so we can take a look?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
KatieGaut1
Regular Contributor
Hi Andrew,
   Yes - absolutely!  Thanks so much for taking a look.  The dates are in a string field.  Here is the service URL.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Again, thanks again.

http://services2.arcgis.com/VmLllxPKgIzlr2id/arcgis/rest/services/Stations_with_Basins_Service/Featu...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Katie,

You'll have to republish the service. If you used a shapefile or Geodatabase feature class you can add a new Date field and calculate it, then publish again.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
KatieGaut1
Regular Contributor
Hi Andrew,
   Just to be sure I understand - the date field needs to be reformatted as Date vs string, then republished?  Thanks!

Katie
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Correct!

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
KatieGaut1
Regular Contributor
Andrew,
   Consider my arms reaching through the computer screen to give you a giant hug!  Thank you so much.

Katie
0 Kudos