Adding features with unique symbols through ArcGIS Online web application

Jump to solution
12-05-2013 09:54 AM
KatieWinkler
New Contributor
Hello,

I am relatively new to ArcGIS Online and am trying to create a web application using the Basic Viewer template.  The map includes an editable feature service that I would like other users to be able to add points to.  This works when the symbology is set to "Single Symbol"; I am able to add points to the feature service through the web application preview.  However, I would like to be able to add points that are two different colors based on values of an attribute.  When I set the symbology to using Unique Symbols, I am able to add points using the two symbols in the ArcGIS Online Viewer, but not from the web application (the name of the layer shows up in the left side bar and I am only able to edit points already in the layer). 

Is it possible to add points using unique symbols through the web application template, or do I need to set up my layer differently somehow before adding it to the map?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Katie,

here is what I would do:

Open your mxd with the shapefile you want to upload. Symbolize the shapefile like you want it to look once uploaded.
After that do the following.

Click on "File" -> "Sign in..." and sign into your organizational account.
Click on "File" -> "Share As" -> "Share as Service" -> "Publish a service"

Choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as Service name use for example Data

In the Capabilities tab uncheck Tiled Mapping and check Feature Access. (This will prevent it from tile cache)

In the Item Description tab fill in the required fields.

Once you are done with that, click on Publish. This will upload your shapefile as a feature service with your uniqu symbology.

Hope that explains it!

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You could upload your feature service through ArcGIS Desktop and setup your symbology there. Before you upload it, add a few example points and assign the symbology through one of your attribute fields.

This requires an organizational account.

Here is an example.
0 Kudos
KatieWinkler
New Contributor
Tim - thank you for your response.  I'm sure this is very simple, but can you please elaborate on how to "upload" the feature service to ArcGIS.com from ArcMap?  I have tried sharing the data as a service with feature access, but this looks like it will create a tile cache of over 120 GB for only about 12 points spread over the central U.S.(!)  Is there a different way to do this that I'm missing?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Katie,

here is what I would do:

Open your mxd with the shapefile you want to upload. Symbolize the shapefile like you want it to look once uploaded.
After that do the following.

Click on "File" -> "Sign in..." and sign into your organizational account.
Click on "File" -> "Share As" -> "Share as Service" -> "Publish a service"

Choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as Service name use for example Data

In the Capabilities tab uncheck Tiled Mapping and check Feature Access. (This will prevent it from tile cache)

In the Item Description tab fill in the required fields.

Once you are done with that, click on Publish. This will upload your shapefile as a feature service with your uniqu symbology.

Hope that explains it!

Tim
0 Kudos
KatieWinkler
New Contributor
Thank you for providing these detailed instructions - I now realize that my problem is that I can only connect to my personal global ArcGIS Online account through ArcMap, but can't seem to connect to our organizational one.  Thank you again for your help - once I figure out the connection this is exactly the solution I was looking for!
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
No problem, let me know if you have any other questions!
0 Kudos