Hosted feature service created in ArcMap not syncing

12-04-2013 10:44 AM
JodieGosselin
New Contributor III
Hello! I have created a feature service for AGOL from ArcMap and am trying to determine the best workflow for updating this data and pushing it back to AGOL. For some reason, the feature services that I am creating (in both ArcMap and directly on AGOL) are not allowing me to save them as a local copy for editing. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Also, does anyone have any input on the best workflow for this? I understand that ESRI is working to enhance these capabilities now.

I envision something like this:

• Publish a feature service directly from a GDB in ArcMap

• Allow edits via AGOL

• Remove editing capabilities for AGOL users

• Update the feature service with new features in ArcMap by saving a local copy and syncing back with AGOL

• Enable editing capabilities for AGOL users

• Repeat as necessary

Thanks everyone!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
When you log into you ArcGIS online account, under my content, click on your layer. That should take you to the details page. In the "Layers" part of the page, click the small triangle drop down box next to the name of your layer. There you can export your file as a shapefile.
0 Kudos
JodieGosselin
New Contributor III
Thanks for the quick response!

I've seen a lot of people being able to bring the feature service directly into ArcMap and right click to save a local copy. I believe this saves a local GDB and then will sync edits back to the feature service. The problem I'm having is that this option is greyed out for me.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
The only other way is to click OPEN, on the details page, and then "Open it with ArcGIS Desktop".
0 Kudos
JodieGosselin
New Contributor III
Thank you!

It's odd how you can view the feature services thru ArcCatalog, but this is the only way to save a local copy.
0 Kudos