Applying an attribute map to a model element

Jump to solution
11-27-2013 01:40 PM
MilosMandic
New Contributor
Hi,

I went through a CityEngine tutorial for applying colors from an attribute map to attributes in a cga rule file.
My problem is that when I try to apply attributes from a color map to parts of a model it doesn't work.

e.g. I take a single Lot and subdivide it into smaller lots (SLots) via split rule. Then I define some attributes for SLots and try to
control them through an attribute map, it doesnt work.

Do attribute maps work only on shapes?
If they do, how could I overcome this problem? (without exploding a model into shapes)

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

yes, that is a current limitation. subshapes in the model hierarchy can not yet sample themselves. sadly.

means the start shape only samples ONCE ( in the centroid ) and then, those attribute values stay constant for all subshapes.

ok ?

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

yes, that is a current limitation. subshapes in the model hierarchy can not yet sample themselves. sadly.

means the start shape only samples ONCE ( in the centroid ) and then, those attribute values stay constant for all subshapes.

ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos
UkJung
by
New Contributor
Hi,

ok ?

Matt

Is there any way around this to be able to either average the mapped value overlapping the entire shape area (if raster) by sampling more than the centroid, or measure the area of the overlap with other shapes (vector), or flag if another shape is within the shape even if it doesn't cross the center? I'm finding that the occlusion and the mapping attribute starts to get there, but limited. Would this be possible with python?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Occlusion won't work here.

You could write a python script that samples multiple times, then store multiple attributes. Though such 'shape analysis' usually should be done in ArcGIS, which is good in such things.

What's the precise use case ?

matt
0 Kudos