Create Features Error

11-26-2013 01:47 PM
MatthewFriesen
New Contributor
Hello. I am attempting to create a feature outlining a specified boundary. Within this layer (polygon) I would like to add 2 more layers depicting differing areas of fishing (this will be similar to a contour map with increasing values for each layer). This is my process of thought to complete this objective:
-create a new layer in ArcCatalog with specified projection
-add layer to ArcMap
-edit feature
-draw area with polygon or freehand tool
-save edits

After completing these steps I receive an error that states "the number of shapes does not match the number of table records". I am attempting to draw 3 polygons, 1 inside the other. I receive this error regardless if I draw 1 polygon or multiple. Any insight into the solution of this problem would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I am using ArcGIS 10
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
Are you editing a Feature Class or Shapefile. It seems that the data is corrupt. You can try the options mentioned in the help webpage to fix it.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
I had that error a couple years ago.  Several members in this thread posted good suggestions.
0 Kudos
MatthewFriesen
New Contributor
Thanks for the references. I am attempting this on a shapefile. I just find it strange as I am simply drawing a polygon using polygon or auto-complete polygon, I view the attribute table and the ID is 0. Then I save edits and it comes up with errors. It seems fairly stright forward but my efforts are failing.
0 Kudos