Add Data Query with Custom SRID

11-13-2013 08:44 AM
DennisFalkenberg
New Contributor
Greetings,
I am trying to set up a procedure for our County in which we will allow County users to load tables from a PostGIS database.  The tables in the database use a custom SRID which is defined by our County Coordinate System.  What I would like to be able to do is to load a table and for ArcMap to know what SRID it is reading.  In my case, the custom SRID is 97306, and is stored with that designation in the PostGIS table geometry column.  I have also added SRID 97306 to the Coordinate System Favorites in ArcMap.  (C:\Users\[login name]\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcMap\Coordinate Systems\97306.prj)  Is there a way to make ArcMap recognize 97306 without me directly clicking on that choice?  Right now I always get UNKNOWN for the spatial reference system.
Thank you for any help or tips!
Dennis
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Dennis,

We have the WisCRS definitions for Chippewa county in Wisconsin as 103308 (meters) and 103408 (feet). Starting at 10.1 you could type in that value on the coordinate system page to select it directly. Also starting at 10.1, you can store the .prj file anywhere and browse to it via the Import option, not just put it in your Favorites.

I don't think there's a way to get ArcGIS to recognize a WKID of 97306 directly. There's a way to add custom coordinate systems and transformations complete with well-known IDs (a back door in a sense), but we have certain supported ranges of values for different object types and 97306 doesn't fall into the right one. 

Melita
0 Kudos
DennisFalkenberg
New Contributor
Thank you Melita,
We are using a slightly different County Coordinate System than what is supported in ArcGIS.  The WisCRS coordinate system is a newer version that was put out by the state, but we still use the original Chippewa County Coordinate sysem.  The difference between the two is minimal, but there is a difference.
On a separate note, can you think of what may be happening to a data connection to the PostgreSQL server that worked yesterday, but will not connect from ArcGIS on some machines today?  The Postgres dlls have been copied to the bin folder, and this popped the server connection to life yesterday, but today, those new users cannot connect.  I have had connection with ArcMap 10.2 consistently over the last month with no hickups on the same enterprise system.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again & have a great weekend - Dennis
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Ah, yes, the WCCS! No idea about the connection problems. I would start a new thread in the geodatabase and ArcSDE forum with PostgreSQL version, any error messages, etc.

Melita
0 Kudos
DennisFalkenberg
New Contributor
Thanks again Melita,
Would it be possible to have the WCCS added to a later addition of ArcGIS?  The WCCS is the projection system that all the County Departments use in Chippewa County, so it would be very helpful to have it native to ArcGIS.
Dennis
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Dennis,

It's actually still supported, but marked as deprecated. Because it's marked as deprecated, it doesn't show up as part of the coordinate systems / prj "files". And, I see that although we support using the well-known ID in ArcMap now, it's actually comparing against the active list and won't work. Hmmmm. We'll (the team) discuss it--please send me an email too about it, mkennedy at esri dot com.

Melita
0 Kudos